The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hyacinth

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Sonia Lei on March 29, 2006 03:46 PM
This is my first year of gardening, because up until now, my husband and I lived in the City and didn't have anything other than a small balcony. So please forgive my ignorance.

I bought a few Hyacinth (blooming) at the supermarket and I must say they were beautiful when I brought them home. I watered, kept them near a window where they got plenty of sun in the morning but they are starting to die out. The soil I'm using has plant food in it, so I know it's not lack of nutrients... so my question is... is this it? Have they done their job and ready for a nap ? This goes for the grape hyacinth as well.

Thanks.

-
by patches1414 on March 29, 2006 04:38 PM
Hi Sonia Lei! [wavey]

Welcome to the Forum! Glad to have you aboard and you're going to love [Love] it here!

Hyacinths are an early spring blooming flower so they're probably done for this year, but they will come back next year. They like a rich soil with lots of organic matter, but they also want to keep their feet dry, so the soil underneath the bulbs should be a well-draining soil. I hope this helps! [Smile]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by margaret e. pell on March 30, 2006 07:17 AM
Plant them outside when they finish blooming and do not cut the leaves off. They'll come back next spring!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Sonia Lei on March 30, 2006 08:35 AM
Thanks guys!!! I'm already loving it. It's especially hard for a newbie like myself to come in without sounding retarded lol [Smile]

We have Ebony trees and the dried up pods make a great mulch, this I learned from my grandmother.

I use this along with homemade compost (courtesy of my uncle).

Thanks again for your help.

-
by Sonia Lei on March 31, 2006 11:11 AM
I did as ya'll said and put them in the ground. I had a pot of Hyacinth & grape hyacinth, and when I started pulling out the GH, I noticed that there are atleast 20 new babies... should I just plant the entire cluster of them or try and seperate?

Thanks

-
by tkhooper on March 31, 2006 09:55 PM
I'm new so I don't have an answer for you. But watching this post I am looking forward to adding some hycinthia to my spring bulbs next year. Thankyou for starting this topic.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: