The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

20g turarium

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: 2006 Garden Tour Fargo-Moorhead| Next thread: 3 aloe plants »
Back to Thread index
by Sorathien on March 24, 2006 10:16 AM
what kinds of tropical, colorful, and exotic-looking plants that are relatively easy to find could i put in a turarium?

orchids, def. and probably a few carniverous plants, but what else? would african violets do well in the humidity? i've heard conflicting arguments concerning african violets and humidity. some say they like it, some say it kills them......o.O
by angelblossom on March 24, 2006 11:38 AM
Sorathein I have a book on terrariums and it said you can put in..
Minature begonia's
Dwarf rose-stripe earthstar
false aralia
minature african violets
tri-color variegated strawberry begonia, there are many moisture lovin plants that one would not think would work but I guess they do! with the right soil mixture and conditions. it also said the acid level would make or break an terrarium to use hardwood charcoal on top of drainage material as it will absorb the acids produced by plants and soil bacteria,< for a closed terrarium

For an open one the acids are ordinarilly flushed away as excess water drains from pot

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by afgreyparrot on March 24, 2006 11:44 AM
Terrarium/Dish Garden Plants

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Sorathien on March 28, 2006 12:29 PM
what kind of substrait should i use? could i do a mix and have one side one kind of substrait, and the other a different kind? i recently came into posession of several african violets and would like to put them in this tank, as well as my orchid, and a few new orchids, and some carniverous plants like pitchers and fly traps. i actually think that would fill it up with maybe just a ground cover plant like some moss to make it pretty.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: 2006 Garden Tour Fargo-Moorhead| Next thread: 3 aloe plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: