The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

A dried out juniper bonsai

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: A dragon in my garden...| Next thread: A few flowers 4 you »
Back to Thread index
by MissippiKite on March 21, 2006 10:25 AM
Hi! We have a new juniper bonsai plant that we let get too dry. I have cut back all the dried parts to where there is green in the branches. It looks quite scraggly now. It it worth trying to revive or should I just toss it and start over? Thanks for any advice. Diana Vance
by Mrs.Bradley on March 21, 2006 11:45 PM
Ironicaaly, the same thing happened to me a year or so ago.except mine was crispy,crunchy!! [Eek!]
My husband(who bought the plant) was very upset.
I tried to revive it with no luck at all! [shocked]

toss it and start over. theres probably no hope [scaredy]

-
 -
by GardenGuy_Gardener on March 23, 2006 07:10 AM
i agree to get a new one but dont toss it. Plants are amazing and with a little nourishment it might be right as rain!

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by Will Creed on March 23, 2006 08:25 AM
Hi Diana,

If you were planning on keeping your Juniper bonsai indoors, it was doomed to fail. Juniper is not a tropical plant and it requires cold winter temperatures that it would never get indoors. That is why so many Bonsais fail.

If you are interested in an indoor Bonsai, get one that is a tropical plant, such as Ponytail palm or Ficus benjamina. These plants can adapt to all year round warm temps. Junipers cannot.
by GardenGuy_Gardener on March 23, 2006 08:36 AM
You should get a fig bonsai i used to have one of them and theyre really pretty.

-
The good thing about snow is that it makes your yard look just like your neighbors! [Big Grin]
by TomR on March 23, 2006 09:16 AM
I agree with Will. This is an OUTDOOR plant and needs dormancy. Try a TROPICAL type bonsai next.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by SpringFever on March 23, 2006 09:03 PM
How about any advice on what was suppose to be an indoor? Ligustrum Lucidum bonsai... any one know about these?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Will Creed on March 24, 2006 06:00 AM
Ligustrum lucidum (privet) is another non-tropical plant that is unlikely to survive warm winters indoors. Sorry, I don't have better news.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: A dragon in my garden...| Next thread: A few flowers 4 you »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: