The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

sedum, zone, and jade

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: sedum| Next thread: Sedum Acre - As of August 5, 2004 »
Back to Thread index
by ilovejadesandsedums on November 02, 2004 08:33 AM
Hi! I have a few questions which I hope someone can help me with.

1) Should I bring my sedums, I have a couple different varieties, stonecrop is one, and then I have these plants called gypsophila 'perfecta', and artemisia 'silver mound', should I bring all those in for the winter? or will they come back? They are perennials.
Dos) I live in Louisville, Ky, what zone is that??
3)and how do you check the ph in the soil.

forth question) my jade plant got burned this summer, is there anything I can do to help repair the burned areas? Also, any suggestions for keeping the bugs off when it is outside?
Last q)what is the best type of soil for a jade plant? I want it to get real big. Should I seperate the 3 stems from each other, or keep them together?

Thanks for the help!
by weezie13 on November 04, 2004 11:08 PM
[wayey] Hello ilovejadesandsedums,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We are very glad you found us!!!
quote:
2) I live in Louisville, Ky, what zone is that??

Click on the link and a map will come up....
click on your general area and it'll get a closer area on the map of your state again...
Find that area and it'll have a color on it....
Match your color with the zone chart on the right side...
TGH's Zonal Map
quote:
1) Should I bring my sedums, I have a couple different varieties, stonecrop is one,
and then I have these plants called gypsophila 'perfecta', and artemisia 'silver mound', should I bring all those in for the winter? or will they come back?
They are perennials.

I know the stone crop is hardy, way up to here where I live in zone 5...so is the gypsophila 'perfecta', probably up to zone 3 for that one I thought!And again the same for the artemisia 'silver mound', up to zone 3 too....
rich, moist, well-drained soil for best growth. Silvermound artemisia does best in cool areas and low humidity....
quote:
3)and how do you check the ph in the soil.
You can take a sample of your soil/dirt to your local Co~operative Extention and they can do a soil sample test....
(A basic rule of thumb, if your area has alot of trees with fallen leaves and such, it's a little on the acidy side...)
quote:
4) my jade plant got burned this summer, is there anything I can do to help repair the burned areas?
There's a HOUSE PLANT SECTION here, and I'm not too big into them, know a little, but others there may be able to help you allllot more than I can....so, go and put a new post there and someone will come thru....
Also, in the meantime, do a FORUM SEARCH and type in JADE, you should get a ba~zillion posts on them, and soil info and pests, etc... lot's of very good reading there.
And Bill, has comprised some info on them as well here at The Garden Helper, Growing Jade Plants/Crassula argentea

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Carly on November 05, 2004 07:45 AM
Artemesia stays in the ground - I was given mine by people who live north of here (Toronto) and there's spreads every year.

I've got sedum - sedum acre, kalanchoe (mucho - I've raised it since 95 from two little pots. I now have 7 plants). I have two other kinds but don't know their names - I just know they're sedum.

Oh, yeah - the hens n' chicks too.

I left some sedum acre out in the rock garden but most of it was brought into the apartment or the office. Never leave kalanchoe out in the winter - they don't even go into the ground, even in summer.

I left some of the hens n' chicks out, but most of it was brought in - just haven't the heart to leave it out, they're so cute.

Thanks for sharing your sedum here.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sedum| Next thread: Sedum Acre - As of August 5, 2004 »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: