The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help -- green stuff on my money plant roots??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Corba on March 22, 2006 03:52 PM
Ok i am not too much into plants.

I am Takeing care of this money plant and it developed Green stuff on its roots (like an algie)-- not knowing what to do i cleaned the water and rubbed it out of the roots. -- then the plan leaves sarted going gray. Me and my friend thought the green stuff to be some sort of a bad algie. so we choped of the roots.

By the way my plant is places in water. It appears that a small root has appearing. But i can still see the green stuff at the bottem of the jar. No replacement of water appears to rid it.

Is this green stuff regular with money plans?

Suggest to my ignorance.

Live Long And prosper
by Will Creed on March 23, 2006 10:57 AM
It is probably algae in the water. It is harmless, but pruning the roots is not. Change the water once per week and the plant should be okay, provided there are sufficient roots remaining.
by Amy R. on March 24, 2006 11:28 AM
Will, what are your thoughts on putting a bit of charcoal in the water to keep it "sweet". And what exactly does that mean, anyway?
by Will Creed on March 24, 2006 12:13 PM
Good question, Amy. Charcoal is alkaline (the opposite of acidic for those of you who failed chemistry or have long forgotten it) and will make the water less sour (acidic). That's why they call it sweetening. Lime is also alkaline and considered to be a sweetener. Don't try either in your coffee, however.
by Will Creed on March 25, 2006 09:28 AM
Sweetening the water only matters if the water is too acidic for some reason. That does not happen often, so adding charcoal to change the pH is not likely to help.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: