The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pink quill

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Pink Queen Anne's Lace?| Next thread: Pink Rose Buds »
Back to Thread index
by joclyn on March 11, 2006 02:22 PM
aka tillandsia cyanea.

i just bought one at the flower show to replace the one i had last year that died from neglect (working too much [Razz] ).

when i got the first one, i was told by the guy at the nursery that it needed bright indirect light - so i put it in my bedroom which is north-facing and gets late afternoon light. i placed it so that it was not directly in the sunlight, until i got too busy, it did okay...even bloomed.

there's a tag on this one and it says 'medium to high light'.

not sure what to do. also, what about watering and fertilizer. i really like this particular bromeliad and want to make sure that this one lives!!

thanks!
by Jiffymouse on March 11, 2006 09:41 PM
joclyn, while i have never had one, if it is the same type plant you've had before, i can almost promise you that it will be fine if you chose to put it where the other one was. that's how i learn where plants like to be! hope this helps.
by TomR on March 12, 2006 09:43 AM
Bright, indirect sun. Early morning or late afternoon sun is O.K. Let dry between waterings. Feed half strength fertilizer every other watering when in growth cycle.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by joclyn on March 13, 2006 05:02 AM
thx, jiffy and tom!

i did some googling and i found that this is an airplant. it can be planted in very porous soil tho.

i'm thinking that the first one i had wasn't in porous enough soil so i'm going to add a ton of bark pieces and sphangum (sp?) to this one when i replant it.

tom, what type of fertilizer would be best? general 10-20-10 or something weaker or stronger?
by Aaron D on March 13, 2006 10:04 AM
T. Cyanea is a tillandsia that requires very little sun and does just fine... but will tolerate bright light... there will be no difference wheather you choose one or the other... i would just place it in the same location you had your previous one... its a great plant, BUT i find the potting material that the wholesale nurserys pot the pink quill does not drain quickly enough (remians soggy too long) the best material sould only be DAMP... i always repot in a fine orchid mix... you should ONLY use "plant foods" NOT FERTILIZER NOTHING WITH UREA or other urea products... T. Cyanea directly absorbs water and nutrients through its anchoring roots and leaves... i always apply every time i water... with a drop or two per gallon... any orchid food will do GREAT [Smile] let me know if you have any questions i LOVE tillandsias...

--AARON
by Aaron D on March 13, 2006 10:10 AM
if you like Cyaneas you may also be interested in Cyanea "variegata" with striped leaves... Cyanea "3-D" with a three or four sided flower spike... or its bigger cousin T. Lindenii
by joclyn on March 13, 2006 01:57 PM
thx, so much, aaron!! so, i'm correct in thinking that the bark bits and sphanghum moss are the direction to go in for potting medium?

yes, plant foods...fertilizer is just a general term! i use peter's for general plant care and i've got av and orchid specific as well.

i'll check out the other varieties...these guys are just SO COOL!! i really love to have different types of plants...
by Aaron D on March 14, 2006 11:07 AM
they are awesome plants, did you smell your cyanea flowers??? they are very fragrant... i am surprised how many people dont smell these flowers beacue they dont expect them to be fragrant... and its some what faint... the smell is more of a sweet "spice" smell... like cinnamon! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
by joclyn on March 14, 2006 11:20 AM
oh, cool! can't wait until this one blooms!! (and, no, i didn't think to give the flower a sniff when i had the other...really never thought that a succulent flower would actually have a scent!).
by Aaron D on March 14, 2006 12:01 PM
well cyaneas arent considered to be succulents... although they have the same water storing tissues as cacti (mesophyll) and engage in the same photosythesis as succulents do... (CAM photosynthesis). they are completely reliant on their environment... which automaticly declassifies this plant as a succulent... but there are many scented succulents called carion plants (stapelia, huernia, orbea) which smell like rotten meat to be pollinated by flies and beetles... sorry if i stampede you with jargon i'm a botany student... [Smile]

--AARON
by joclyn on March 14, 2006 06:30 PM
dunno why i said they were a succulent. i know they're not. (i guess i was thinking about the other plant i just got)

no prob on the jargon...i actually understood some of it! [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pink Queen Anne's Lace?| Next thread: Pink Rose Buds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: