The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Golden Trumpet Vine - propagating it?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: GOLDEN ROD| Next thread: Goldfinch Playland »
Back to Thread index
by Rayel on August 15, 2005 07:47 PM
Can anyone tell me how to propagate the Golden Trumpet vine, Allamanda cathartica?

Is it possible from cuttings? If so what kind & what time of year is optimal?
by Aunt B on August 16, 2005 02:07 AM
Rayel, I'm pretty sure the gold is as easy as the orange trumpet vine, which I wage war on every year. If you just clip off a piece from anywhere on the plant it will root in soil, anywhere you drop it. I consider it envasive here in the mid U.S.
by Rayel on August 16, 2005 04:14 PM
Thank you Aunty B. All I know about the Golden Trumpet is that it has beautiful flowers & originates in Brazil tho is now pan-tropical, having been introduced to most tropical areas. I believe that I will have to treat it as a houseplant so, hopefully, not too much danger of it becoming established in my garden. I obtained a terminal cutting recently from a friend. I have no idea where he found it.
by BFVISION on August 17, 2005 08:44 AM
I didn't know there was a golden trumpet vine. Is it the same as the orange one?

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by Rayel on August 17, 2005 11:34 PM
There seem to be a few, very different, plants having, as their common name, something to do with Trumpet Vine.

Browsing the web I've found the Golden Trumpet vine (Allamanda cathartica) which is tropical in its requirements. I've also found the Trumpet Vine (Campsis radicans) which is native to North America. And I've found what appear to be 2 entirely different species going by the name of Orange Tumpet Vine one of which is Thunbergia gregorii. I tried to find a species name for the other, which looks entirely different, but have so far been unlucky.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: GOLDEN ROD| Next thread: Goldfinch Playland »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: