The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mums

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: mums| Next thread: Mums from the store in fall »
Back to Thread index
by spotalot on October 10, 2004 06:26 PM
My husband and I moved into our first house about three years ago. The previous owners had thrown a bunch of new plants around in the yard to help with the "curb appeal" of selling the house. We spent about a year remodeling the inside, and we have now started identifying, transplanting, and caring for what has already been planted. I have NO IDEA how to care for mums- and we have quite a few (at least 3 years old now) that are spindly and falling over (I would say the stalks are about 1 1/2- 2 feet tall if you were to stand them up). The stalks are very thin and there are no leaves at the bottom. But the things are still flowering! They are just the regular pompom mums (I believe the previous owners bought EVERYTHING at Lowe's- so they are nothing exotic). I have read that we are supposed to pinch the heads until around June and then cut them back to about 4" tall after flowering. Will this help them or are they a lost cause? Can I move them, and if so, when is the best time?
by alankhart on October 11, 2004 01:24 AM
Your mums are probably fine. They can get tall and spindley if not pinched back. You should start pinching them back when they get about 6" tall and continue until about the middle of June. It's best not to cut them back at all until spring...they will usually overwinter with more success that way. It's best to transplant them in early spring beacause mums have shallow root systems. Transplanting them in the fall may not give them time to recover.

-
 -
 -
by njoynit on October 13, 2004 05:33 PM
mine have never showed no transplat shock when moveing,,,but milder climate too TXZ8b.
Mine bloom in may AND oct.I cut them back after blooming Both times and root my cuttings.I do use rooting hormone,BUT they will root without it(as I stick broke stems in containers year round...hubby mows /accidents happen).

My yellow sunshine ones flop and they are the pom ones.you can tell I have been rooting them for 4 years cause they are EVERYWHERE in yard& some pots have 1-3 stems stuck in and blooming as well.You root woody stems & be sure are at least 2 spots leaves were removed under soil& I just keep watered and after they bloom or sometimes while blooming I plant them out.your main concrn winterwize will be that area they are in drains well& you don't want area where water will wash soil off(like at base of trees)I don't get hard freezes or frosts.frosts are light& not many.mums are hardy to Z 5 but are some specialty ones like some that
www.kingsmums.com
sells.They are closed right now,but will send you a spring catlog in january& in march take more orders.I'm ventureing on a spider mum& was emailed to try a trial plant in spring for them that they will offer in the future.
only other thing I know is...be careful getting the blooms wet.sometimes the wetness will turn them brown and squishy.
& i'm curious....what colors did they leave ya?& what type flowers?I'm on the daisy -type-hype this year.i just bought some white& some bronze...not too sure what i think of the broonze.my flowers fade lighter& some serrias got last year,they not perform as well as others...wondering if is 'florist"type..cause it sure ain't kickin it like the others& my hubby wacked my apricot& the dogs played with its rootall.it is no more a plant.I put in compost but the dogs took it back.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: mums| Next thread: Mums from the store in fall »
Back to Thread index