The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

CERAMIC POTS

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by cathieken127 on March 01, 2006 01:38 AM
i have a question about ceramic pots? each time i have put my plants in ceramic pots they don't seem to do well. is ther something i should add to them? i have tried to put pebbles in the bottom, but that didn't work well. recently i put a new african violet in one and it doesn't seem to be doing as well as i would like it to. any suggestions would be helpfull. thanks cathieken127
by weezie13 on March 01, 2006 01:48 AM
Is the cermaic like a clay pot,
or with like a shiney glaze on the outside??

And does it have drain holes???

And by the way, Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum,
we're very glad you found us!!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by cathieken127 on March 01, 2006 02:05 AM
the pot has a shiney glase and there is no holes in it. i have also used clay pots and not had much luck. thanks for replying cathieken127
by weezie13 on March 01, 2006 02:22 AM
I am not much of a house plant person,
but do garden and work with plants..

Plants need good drainage, most house plants
don't like wet feet...

And some roots need a bit of air..
*not alot, but don't need to suffocated by water*

And the no drain hole promotes stagnation...

Then the one kind of pots's with the shiney coating don't allow your plant/dirt/roots to breath.. or soak away moisture.. like a clay pot/container would...

I personally am not a "clay pot" gardener,
they are for me, too much work, cause I'm not fast on the watering part...*I'm busy*

So, for me, it's a plastic pot with drain holes..

For extra humidity, if you feel a plant needs it..
maybe a tray under it with the pepples and put extra water there, although that does better for your house then the plant, but if a root or two were to sneak out into that pepple/water area, it wouldn't hurt much...

If you like those pretty pots/containers that have the shiney coatin, which they have some really really pretty one's these days..
What I would do is, put your plant into a smaller pot/container and then some rocks in the bottom of those pretty pots, and slip it inside, and no one is the wiser that it's not really in that pot..
but still has the ability not to be standing in water and getting mushy..

Does that help...

Hope you stick around, and check out all of our sections here, there's lot's to do, thru every season, and we've got banter hall for chatting..
Pull up and chair and say hello to everyone in the coffeehouse...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by cathieken127 on March 01, 2006 06:13 AM
thanks for your advice, i think i'll stick to plastics also. puting them down in the ceramics and clay pots is a good idea. i'll try to remember the coffeehouse. as for me i like tea only. but i know what you mean about a place to chat.
by weezie13 on March 01, 2006 06:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by cathieken127:
thanks for your advice, i think i'll stick to plastics also. puting them down in the ceramics and clay pots is a good idea. i'll try to remember the coffeehouse. as for me i like tea only. but i know what you mean about a place to chat.
Anyyyyytime...
I hope some others can swing by and help with any other ideas..

And I'm a tea drinker too, Red Rose Tea, only brand.. *I do like coffee when I'm out though*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on March 01, 2006 10:04 AM
Since the pot has no drainage holes and placing rocks in the bottom hasn't worked, repot the plant to a plastic pot (that has drainage holes) one that will fit into the ceramic one, so that you can bottom water if it is as av, just remove the plastic pot either place water in bottom of ceramic pot and remove excess water in about 45 minutes...Or take plastic pot and place in container in the sink and bottom water, then drain good and place back in to your ceramic pot.

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on March 01, 2006 10:55 AM
I agree with Weezie and Comfrey - I've been using many ceramic pots lately, and ALWAYS pot up in a plastic pot first and then slip them inside the more decorative ones. This way, there is room for the water to run out if you overwater by accident, and you can pour it out easily.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by sweetie1960 on March 01, 2006 11:05 AM
Hi if you do use clay pots they do sell them with drainage holes in them, I have an ivy growing in a clay pot and it is thriving. They do need the drainage though. But I prefer the plastic pots, if the dog hapens to knock it over it won't break like the clay ones.

Life is what you make of it.
by cathieken127 on March 06, 2006 07:20 AM
thanks for all your replys. i have recently switched to plastic and put them inside the clay ones.
by tamara on March 06, 2006 08:13 AM
I varnish the inside of my clay pots and drill drainage holes in the bottom with my dremmel. Never had a problem yet.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: