The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Starting to get discouraged...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by FlowerNewbie on February 28, 2006 05:41 AM
Hi Guys,

Well I always was a "black thumb." I blamed it on laziness and lack of desire. But lately it seems a lot of my thought and time and pocket book has gone to becoming a "great gardener" and every time I think I'm doing good something always messes it up [tears] ! I have to do everything indoors (no outside space) so I tried to find anything that would grow well inside. So far I've invested serious $ in a lot of av's and they seem to be pretty sad. I know it's still a little cold but come on! The coleus seeds a bought sprouted, I was so excited and now it has molded in a patch and am afraid they are all to perish [scaredy] . I also started a chia herb garden and 3 out of 6 six sprouted and I think they may have mold also. Not sure though. It's kind of a more red color fuzzy. The coleus was white. What I'm a doing wrong [tears] ! I haven't been watering the seeds at all only before a put the seeds in. As far as the av's only when the top looks dry. Haven't been bottom feeding them maybe that's a problem. At this point my moneys running low and can't afford to just buy plants and watch them die. I'd rather buy a goldfish. [Roll Eyes] lol. just kidding. Any inspiration to get my heart back in the game [Love] . lol. I just wanted my house to look gorgeous [flower] by spring from all the plants and flowers everywhere, guess I just tried to hard [dunno] .

-
 -
Kitten in Life  - , Tiger in Love  -
by comfrey on February 28, 2006 10:00 AM
It is either too cool or low light for your av's, they do need to be fed. You could try moving the av's under lamps or move a lamp to them, this would give more light and a small amount of heat. Not getting enough Air flow is another cause of the mold. Try a different method in your seed starting...If you are using ziplock bags...don't zip them up and if see moisture forming on the inside removed your container from the plastic bag, allow the soil to dry out and dry out the bag also and place back into the bag...too much moisture build up with not enough air flow also will cause molds/fungus to form. Don't give up, you want to do this or you wouldn't have tried to begin with, So try again....nuke the soil for 5 minutes if it is pretty moist, if not mosit add some water, this will make it steam and help with the sterilization. Sterilize your containers with some bleach water. Now everything is recycled and ready to start over with...Just place 2-4 seeds in each container, so if something should go wrong you still have more seed to try again....You can do this I have confidence you can do. [muggs]

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 28, 2006 11:20 AM
And, you've picked a plant that can be
pretty picky to grow, even for a seasoned gardener......
So, don't beat yourself up toooooo badly there..

I'd go with a POTHOS..
*do a FORUM SEARCH and type in POTHOS.*

They are pretty easy to take care of, I've always thought...
(and an excellant air cleaner for your home..)

Or the spider plants are easy,
or wandering jews, or purple-heart tradescantia..
(those can all be hanging plants)
up away from the baby too...

Do you have any way to get us a photo of the mold growing on the plants???

Do not loose hope..
You will get there..
Eventually..
And this is how you learn, you learn that a plant is not happy, it dies and you are so concerned you look for answers.. and you learn from them..
And go on to learn more, and in time, you WILL have the confidence and knowledge under your belt to be a confident gardener..

Time and Patience Grasshopper!!! [kissies] [wavey] [flower] [thumb] [angel] You'll get there..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on February 28, 2006 11:22 AM
Also, tell us
what kind of dirt you're using

how often you water each particular plant
(*and how you water, from the bottom, on top of the plant*)

what kind of pot/containers they are in?

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by barleychown on February 28, 2006 11:08 PM
Sorry you are feeling discouraged! Are you feeling better today? [dunno]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by tkhooper on February 28, 2006 11:16 PM
Don't feel bad as I started growing things last year there were times when I felt alittle overwhelmed but it works out in the end. I seldom use a dome or ziploc bag on my seedlings because I mother them a bunch lol. So they are usually checked for water needs once or twice a day and misted if I see they are dry between times. I used egg cartons to start mine this year and the cardboard soaks up the water like a sponge so it's been a fight to keep everything moist.

I'm going to assume you didn't use starting soil but regular potting soil in your containers. Starting soil doesn't have all the perlite in it so it drys faster than potting soil. Potting soil is also heavier and some small seeds don't respond well to being put in it. I found that most of the plants I started this year were really small seeds and if I hadn't had the starter soil I think I would have been very disappointed. I know I have been in years past when I have tried and failed with a variety of plants.

Keep plugging away with it. And use the seed exchange to get your seeds. Many of our members are willing to send seeds for a self addressed stamped envelope rather than a trade for different seeds.

You can do this. If I can do this you can do this.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on March 01, 2006 06:07 AM
Thanks so much for all your ideas and kind words [kissies] [kissies] [kissies] !!

I am feeling a little more hopefull today!

I got my digital cam and posted pics of all my plants in Housplants at;

Photos & Q&A of my plants (Av's, Coleus, Herbs, Roses & Jade)

Come check it out!

-
 -
Kitten in Life  - , Tiger in Love  -
by SpringFever on March 04, 2006 09:08 PM
Hey the other day they looked great.. Just hang in there and everything will be great!!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: