The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Save my Calamondin

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by meraj3 on February 25, 2006 11:35 PM
I had purchased a Calmondin tree a fortnight ago
about a week ago the leave started to curl up, some dried up and by today all the leave have fallen, all that is left on the tree is it fruits.

I live in Bahrain the middle east and it is winter time here now the weather was about 13 to 15 C or may be less the past few days. The tree was kept out in the balcony.

I don't know what is the reason for the plant to be in such a state I have kept it indoors now.

Please help it has [scaredy] a few new leave and flowers so I think there is still time to save it.
by peppereater on February 26, 2006 02:32 AM
Did the soil get too dry, or too wet? I'm not familiar with this plant, but definitely pick off the fruit so it frees up energy for re-growth and monitor the moisture of the soil.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by meraj3 on February 26, 2006 03:01 AM
Thank you Dave,

The soil is still wet from when I last watered it.

I have not watered the tree in the last 2 days.

Will pluck the fruits and prune it.
by peppereater on February 26, 2006 03:06 AM
meraj...I just noticed you mentioned it also has new flowers...pick these off as well, and all flower buds, until the plant is going strong again.

-
Dave
by papito on February 26, 2006 04:18 AM
In the absence of pests, leaf curl is a natural action of leaves to conserve moisture when the soil is dry. If there is no uptake of water from the roots to the leaves, the leaf cell could die,and the leaves may fall off the tree. Overwatering is just as bad.

You have your Calamondin tree for barely 3 weeks, so I wouldn't recommend pruning. Delay fertilizing as well until new leaves re-grow. Calamondin trees are fertilized usually 3x the first 2 years between February and September and 2x from third year to maturity. Let the soil dries up before watering again. February is bloom time. My Calamondin trees are full of white flowers.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by peppereater on February 26, 2006 08:48 AM
Hey, papito, sounds like you know about these, that's great! Wouldn't you agree with me however, that the blossom buds should be picked? And I'd have to say that no plant under stress should be fertilized, do you agree? Ditto on do not prune other than dead parts.

-
Dave
by meraj3 on February 26, 2006 11:39 PM
Thanks pps..

I notices today some of the branches. they just look like the they are dihydrated and slowing drying but when I touch the soil it is still wet and it does has some blossom on it.

I will not water or prune the tree just as yet I will let it flowers blossom and let see what happens

I like this tree a lot.
by dodge on February 27, 2006 09:00 AM
[flower]
I am not familiar with that, but I do know if a tree is shocked, that will happen......As they said drying out......Or too cold .

I have that problem with Rhodendrens ......None seem to survive for me. [kitty]
Sorry I cant help..
dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by papito on March 02, 2006 02:41 AM
Hi Dave,

Yes, I do agree with you.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.