The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

schefflera plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: schefflera ia drooping| Next thread: Schefflera Question »
Back to Thread index
by anneybelle on February 25, 2006 06:36 AM
Hi,

I have a VERY ill schefflera plant that is over 30 years old and I am soooooo afraid that my daughter has killed a plant that I built my house around. HELP it is looking woody and the leaves are dying and falling off. Some of the stems look to still have green inside and they smell alive so I am hoping that you can offer assistance. I read on the postings that pruning and root manipulation might help but I am unsure how to do this.
by barleychown on February 25, 2006 09:19 AM
Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of this plant?

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by TomR on February 26, 2006 10:32 PM
We need more info. How do you water it? It likes to dry out a little between waterings. How much light does it get?

Worse comes to worse you can cut back each cane and it should sprout new leaves. You can take the cut off cane parts and root them in water to start NEW plants as well. I use 3-4 inch sections.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by anneybelle on February 27, 2006 06:29 AM
thank you Tom for your post. I would let it dry out then soak it. i recently repotted it and think it may have been over watered. it's kept indoors and is in a well lighted room that gets sunlight. just iun the last 3 months it has started to look like it does and leaves were dying off.
by Marajane on February 27, 2006 10:34 AM
Perhaps your Scheff is reacting to the repotting. Did you change sizes of your plant's pot?
by anneybelle on February 27, 2006 11:32 PM
No I did not change the size of the pot.
by barleychown on March 01, 2006 12:25 AM
Here is a picture of anneybelle's plant:

-

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by Will Creed on March 19, 2006 10:06 AM
Anney,

I suspect by now that your Schefflera has completed its demise and has been recycled. But I thought that I would comment that it appears to have slowly died from lack of light and probably from keeping the soil too moist, as well.

I know that information will not resurrect your plant, but it may help you or someone else in the future. Scheffleras need to be right in front of a bright window and the soil must dry out a quarter of the way down into the pot.

Will Creed
Interior landscaper

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: schefflera ia drooping| Next thread: Schefflera Question »
Back to Thread index