The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

hens and chickens

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: henbit/clover/sorrel| Next thread: Hens and Chicks »
Back to Thread index
by luvinmyflowers on October 01, 2004 09:17 PM
Hi, Just wondering if anyone has luck with hens and chickens. These are the neatest plant, I had a large pot that was overflowing- so I pulled off a lot of the babies and replanted into another pot. I have noticed that some in the older pot have just seemed to rot away for no apparent reason. Any ideas??
by weezie13 on October 01, 2004 09:44 PM
Luvinmyflowers,
The only thing I could think of is if the momma plant made the babies....
she's done her job and makes room for the babies.

We've had a few conversations around here on hens~n~chick's..... if you do a FORUM SEARCH and type in hens~n~chick's, you'll find a bunch of posts on the same plant!!

I know some of the other gardeners will also help you a bit more...

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Carly on October 02, 2004 07:40 AM
My daughter bought me some at the beginning of summer. I grew them on my table garden in a planter. I've put some in a rock garden I'm starting up and put some in pots.

Both hens had kids and the kids have grown. Some have had kids.

They're really easy. Just put them in larger containers as they get bigger or get them into a rock garden.

They are from the sedum family, I believe. They go nice with sedum acre. I'm looking forward to watching it grow in the rock garden next season.

And no, my mother plant didn't die, but she hasn't given more chicks - hasn't got any bigger either.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by rue anemone on October 02, 2004 03:50 PM
I love hens and chicks. Did you know that there are tons of varieties? Some of the varieties seem to grow so much quicker than others.

One thing though, they all like it on the drier side. We can have a very wet summer some years so I made sure that mine are in places where the water drains very quickly.

Don't bury that thick runner that runs form plant to plant. Only bury the fine thin roots. I plant the rosettes sort of shallow and then surround the rosette with pebbles.

It seems that for at least a couple of years before flowering the mom has babies then she flowers and dies.

-
 -
by luvinmyflowers on October 02, 2004 11:48 PM
Thanks for the info., We have had an extreme amount of rain, so maybe that had something to do with it. [dunno]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: henbit/clover/sorrel| Next thread: Hens and Chicks »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: