The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help w/my aloe vera please!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by bluessue67 on February 23, 2006 06:13 AM
I have a beautiful aloe vera in a big pot w/a plant to fill up the space,it was sitting on a planter in the middle, anyway the aloe vera plant roots rotted it wasnt attach anymore is there any way to save it! Its dying slowly !
[dunno]
by margaret e. pell on February 23, 2006 10:06 AM
Yes, you can save it, or parts of it, so first, relax. Next, look at the bottom. If it's just the roots that have rotted and the base of the plant looks ok, take off any rotten looking tissue with your fingers (you're not cutting deep, just getting rid of any soft, gooey stuff) and set it aside for a day or two just on a counter, your kitchen table [Wink] , where ever. What you are doing is letting the good parts dry out and scab over so they wont rot in the next step. Now, and don't feel you have to rush this part, it's not going to mind being rootless for a while, set the plant upright - you'll have to stake it, DON'T burry it deep enough to hold itself up - in new soil. Never reuse soil a plant has rotted in. Aloe want a fast draining mix that dries out between waterings. Cactus soil with added drainage material (small lava rocks, fish tank gravel, other clean gravel, COARSE - NOT fine- sand, some people use pearlite, that kind of thing) is good. Smaller pots are better, don't pot it with anything else, it'll offset and fill the pot on its own. Water spairingly even for rooting. Your problem was caused by too much water. I didn't water my aloe vera at all between November and last week. Give it time and in 2 months or so it'll be well rerooted. If you don't have a good base and will need to work from leaves, let us know and we'll tell you how to go from there. Good luck! What is the other plant you potted it with?

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by margaret e. pell on February 23, 2006 10:08 AM
Oh, and once you get it in the pot it will reroot in, make sure it's in a sunny place. It wants a lot of sun.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: