The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

fall care

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Fall blooming plants| Next thread: Fall Color Question »
Back to Thread index
by JudyK on September 20, 2004 05:39 AM
Help...I live in Washington state and have an angel trumpet that is potted and a bleeding heart plant that is planted in the ground and I am unsure how to winter them???? Do I cut back the bleeding heart? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
by KDH on September 19, 2004 07:46 PM
Don't know about the angel trumpet, however, don't cut the bleeding heart until spring.. [wayey] [thumb]

The More I know, the more I know I need to know more
by KDH on September 24, 2004 05:08 AM
I would like to revise my statement about the bleeding heart. They are very resiliant. I have cut mine back a couple of times. They come back with great vigour. So, cut them back now, they will come back in the Spring very well. [teacher] [dunno]

The More I know, the more I know I need to know more
by afgreyparrot on September 24, 2004 05:40 AM
Well, I have no idea about either! [Big Grin]

Just wanted to WELCOME you to the forum!

Nice to meet you!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by gardenmom32210 on September 24, 2004 02:39 PM
Angel Trumpets are considered a tropical plant. You can put it in a well-heated area over the winter and it might survive. I'm in zone 8/9(right on the border you might say) and I've seen some survive our winter outside and I've seen lots die. Your best bet would be to make sure you have collected some seeds. If you bring it inside please be very careful in regards to children and animals as this plant is highly poisonous.

Hope this helps!

Karen [grin]
by weezie13 on September 24, 2004 04:23 PM
Hello [wayey] JudyK,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum,
and we are very glad you found us!!!

I just wanted to let you know that I was going to move your post into the Plants and Flower Section, you may get a few more posts/answers in there...where a few more of our gardeners frequent thru...

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by sidheblooms on September 24, 2004 05:19 PM
hello!

i too always cut my bleeding heart right down to the ground. and am always graced with its beauty in the spring. as for the angel trumpet vine..i dont have one personally, but on one of the gardens i work on they have a massive one which climbs up their big ponderosa pine. we dont do anything to it except clean up its fallen leaves..and mulch the base..and it seems to continue to be a show stopper all the time. i too collect those beautiful velvety banana type pods..and am planning on starting some of my own.

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by sidheblooms on September 26, 2004 06:09 PM
oops...my mistake!!

when i heard the 'angel trumpet'..i immediatly thought of trumpet vine...but you are refering to Datura..no?

well in that case..yes they do need winter protection..and since it is in a nice pot..this wont be hard to do. mine is soo little, so i have no advice if yours is humungas..

sorry for the mix up.

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Fall blooming plants| Next thread: Fall Color Question »
Back to Thread index