The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Please help! I have a brown thumb!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Stargazer lover on September 22, 2004 07:51 PM
Can anyone please help me with my Stargazer lilies? I have lived in the same house for 7 years and have had stargazers planted for about that long. They have come back each year more beautiful than the last. I am about to move 200 miles away and want to take my lilies with me. Today I dug up most of the bulbs and now I don't know what to do with them. Can anyone help please? They are most lovely and I would hate to lose them. Thanks!
by Triss on September 22, 2004 10:19 PM
Hi there,

If you would like to store them over the winter you need to let them dry for about a week. After that you can store them in a shallow tray surrounded by dry peat moss or sand or something similar so they will not completely dry out and can still breathe. You need to keep them from freezing but they do need to be in a cool dry place. The other thing I have done is to just plant them once you get where you are going and they can overwinter in the ground. I prefer that method so I dont risk the bulbs drying to much or freezing.

Hope that helps some
Triss

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by sidheblooms on September 24, 2004 03:00 AM
i love stargazer lilies too..and it would be a shame to leave without them. i think they will be just fine. i use woodchips and shredded newspaper. just cover them in a shoe box..and they will be fine! what a treat for them to embark on such a move..they wont know what to think next spring when they wake up in a new place!

happy moving!!...umm...your not taking ALL your plants are you?!? i am a constant relocater too..and have been soo tempted to do just that!

the things we attach ourselves to....

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: