The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

African Violets 102...What to do now that you have babies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 2 3 1
by barleychown on January 24, 2006 12:48 PM
So, you started an african violet leaf, it rooted, and now you have babies! [flower]

First, this is a picture of "mouse ears", a newly emerged baby...

-

Here's one of a little older baby...

-

And a tray full of rooted leaves. Can you spot the babies?

-

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by barleychown on January 24, 2006 01:02 PM
Now, when the a few of the baby's leaves get AT LEAST the size of a dime, it's time to separate them and give them their own pot.

Here's a pot full of babies...the mother leaf was removed a few weeks ago. You have two choices with the mother leaf...you can either cut it away when the babies are of good size, and let them continue to grow for another week or two, OR you can separate the mother leaf and babies all at the same time, and use the mother leaf again. It's up to you.

-

Looks like a big clump, right?

-

But, if you slowly start to sort the leaves, and trace them back to where they begin from, you can start to see how many babies you have...

-

-
 -

by barleychown on January 24, 2006 01:07 PM
If you start to tug very gently, the baby and it's roots will start to pull away from the rest...

-

Continue separating babies, and tugging them apart...

-

Until you get them all separate...

-

-
 -

by barleychown on January 24, 2006 01:09 PM
Make sure you label and date the pot the baby will be going into, and then plant it...

-

-

-
 -

by barleychown on January 24, 2006 01:12 PM
The dime is there for leaf size comparisons...

This group of babies is actually a little smaller than I normally separate them, but I needed a model. [Big Grin]

Any questions? Can I make anything clearer? [dunno]

-
 -

by Triss on January 24, 2006 01:19 PM
Great job Sarah!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Triss on January 24, 2006 02:12 PM
Question... What is the soil mix you are using for the babies? When did this mommy get planted? And how long will they stay in the new planter. Ok so that was a lot of questions.

-
 -
by barleychown on January 24, 2006 02:32 PM
I use the same soil mix for babies that I do for the leaves, because their roots are not fully developed, and I don't want to drown them, or let them get too dry.

This mommy was planted a few months ago, but I didn't write the date on the pot, so I'm not certain of the date. [Embarrassed] Let this be a lesson...ALWAYS date your pots!

Depending on the time of year, because they grow slower during the winter, they will be in these pots for 2 to 3 months.

-
 -

by plants 'n pots on January 25, 2006 12:55 AM
I'm soooo impressed, Sarah!
Can't wait for the stores to start getting plants in again here...

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by barleychown on January 25, 2006 12:59 AM
Thanks, Lynne! It really is a lot of fun when the babies first sprout. [thumb]

-
 -

by beebiz on January 25, 2006 07:10 AM
Thanks for posting all of this great information Barley. [thumb] The pics sure are a great help to a gourd head like me!!

Robert

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by Naz on January 25, 2006 11:54 AM
Wow [lala] , you got three new plants from one leaf I definitely got to try growing them now

-
God Bless
by FlowerNewbie on February 07, 2006 01:06 AM
 -

-

-

-

-
 -
Kitten in Life  - , Tiger in Love  -
by FlowerNewbie on February 07, 2006 01:07 AM
[img] [IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/flowernewbie/African%20Violets%20on%20Ebay/NesssCoralSunset.jpg [/img][/IMG]

[img] [IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/flowernewbie/African%20Violets%20on%20Ebay/WhirligigStar.jpg [/img][/IMG]

[img] [IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/flowernewbie/African%20Violets%20on%20Ebay/SaintpauliaGrandifolia.jpg [/img][/IMG]

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 07, 2006 01:09 AM
 -

-

-

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 07, 2006 01:14 AM
Okay new at the posting images thing, sorry. The above plants I just bought on ebay. I think, though after reading the posts that I may have spent to much. It was about $50 for the above 7 plants including shipping. Is that a lot for these? I guess they are mostly all different types. Do they look good and healthy? Any tips for when I re-pot them? I'd like to put the in an "indoor" window box together. Is that okay? Any tips for picking out the box. Thanks for the soil tips. Should I use fertilizer? When should I expect to get blooms? Thanks!

-
 -
by comfrey on February 07, 2006 03:59 AM
Well I would say it was too much, I paid $3 for a plant with blooms from Wal Mart. And what you have is what appears to be something someone started from leaf cuttings...But to late now. If you haven't done so go back and read the threads about starting them it answers alot of your questions here is the link:

Starting Afican Violets 101
and continued here:
African Violets 101 Part b

-
 -
by ShirlS on February 07, 2006 04:25 AM
Hi Newbie,

Welcome to the forum! The plants look pretty good! The last one has a couple of dry spots, but aside from that it looks good too. I would give it a week and let them settle into their new environment. Then I woudl gently seperate them into their own pots. Make sure the pots are small as Av's like to be root bound. Looks like you may get 2-3 plantlets from a couple of the pots. Did you pay to much? I don't think so. You have named violets( not noids), that are healthy. It takes the grower time and effort to make sure the plants are healthy. And time for packing and shipping.

Good luck with your new babies.

Shirl

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by FlowerNewbie on February 07, 2006 05:18 AM
Okay, just got back from home depot! Wow, I think this forum is as addictive as my new planting habit. Well anyway not sure if I bought the right stuff let me know.

1. 2 - 12" Window Box (it's about 5" tall and ceramic)

2. 2 - 24" Window Box (it's about 7" tall and white plastic)

I know these boxes are bigger, but I was wanting to put more than one plant in each. How many av's should I put in the 12"? If it is just to big is there a way to use it and maybe fill the bottom so not to use up the whole pot? I was thinking about using the 24" for the coleus for now.

3. 1 - Bag of Scotts Perlite

4. 1 - Bag of Scotts Potting Soil (added phosphorus)

So from what I gathered on the forums I should mix 1/2 perlite and half potting soil together. Is the phosphorus a problem? I couldn't seem to find any just plain potting soil. I found an african violet food but the hdepot lady said it wasn't needed because of the soil. But she also said she didn't know much about planting right before, what do you guys think?

I found these great redwood boxes and had them in my cart I was even going to stain them a darker wood to match my furniture and I got to the front and the wanted $20 each. So out they want and in came the $6 white plastic ones. Just couldn't do it right now maybe later. The ceramic one are gorgeous! The have blue and yellow flowers on them and are just perfect! Although a little worried about witting them on the window sills for fear they might fall. I guess I should get little tables to put in front of the windows to put them on. Boy it adds up fast, I think I'm up to almost $200 spent so far.

Gosh, I must be a pain. Sorry for all the questions, but you guys are a real help. You're like my new gardening buddies! Thanks!

-
 -
by Triss on February 07, 2006 05:56 AM
Hey there newbie. I would use the planters but keep your AV's in the pots they are already in. Just put something in the bottom of the planters to keep the AV's up to the top edge. Then maybe some moss to hide the containers. AV's do like to be rootbound so the smaller containers are good for them. I just got a bunch of babies from Sarah and here is what I did with them. They are all still in their containers, but now "hidden" in prettier containers.

-

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 07, 2006 06:35 AM
[clappy] Great Idea! What did you use at the bottom of the containers? Also, where do I find moss?

-
 -
by Triss on February 07, 2006 07:19 AM
My little containers fit right in the bigger ones and the "lips" of the containers keep them from falling in. Spanish moss (I think it is called) can be found in most craft stores. I think I want to set a few of my remaining AV's in a small basket and will fill it with moss to hold them up.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 07, 2006 07:23 AM
is the moss alive or fake?

-
 -
by Triss on February 07, 2006 07:52 AM
hmmmm I have no idea. It may have been at one time, but it is decorative and does not grow to my knowledge.

-
 -
by JV on February 11, 2006 12:10 AM
Morning all Triss has your leaves done anything yet? Mine look just like they did when I first started them. All look healthy but not seeming to do (edited)(better correct that)anything. Sarah is this normal? Been a month now and still all the same.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by barleychown on February 11, 2006 01:03 AM
Patience. [grin] This is not the absolute optimal time to be starting leaves because of the shorter days.

If you still have leaves after then being planted for a month, there is GREAT news...they must be rooting, or they would have rotted by now! [flower]

I have babies on almost all that I started in the first part of December. Yours will get there soon! [thumb]

-
 -

by JV on February 11, 2006 01:23 AM
Ok thanks Patience umm something I seem to be very short on these days. [Big Grin] Seems like the older I get the sooner I want it must be a time frame facture feeling like running out of time. [Big Grin]
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Triss on February 11, 2006 05:45 AM
Jimmy, I have not actually started leaves yet as I have yet to find a good looking AV here in town. I am told they shoul dbe here in the next week or so then I will start some of my own. Right now I am just watching the ones that Sarah gave me. They seem to like their new homes so far.

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on February 13, 2006 03:02 AM
Finally managed to get a good one at HD yesterday!
Anyone know which one this is?
I'm hoping to start some leaves tomorrow, after I make some holes in those applesauce containers!

-

-
 -
by comfrey on February 13, 2006 08:27 AM
Very pretty Lynne!

I have a question...How long does it take after you have babies and you separate them, does it take before you get blooms???? And I found a place online that offers av leaves for starting, the price is $6 for two leaves and they have a huge choice of named varieties to chose from, Is this a fair deal to get some of the harder to find colors/varieties?

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 13, 2006 09:41 AM
I found leaves for 1.00 - 2.00 for named varieties. I bought baby plants for like $3-$10 on ebay. You should check there... [thumb]

-
 -
by Triss on February 13, 2006 10:05 AM
Nice looking plant Lynne.

-
 -
by barleychown on February 13, 2006 10:12 AM
Awesome plant, Lynne! I'm still working on it...

Comfrey, flowernewbie is right...I get all my leaves for no more than $2 each...most of the time I buy from a vendor that is 1 for $1, or 2 of the same variety for $1.50...that's what i get, the 2...

Bloom time depends soley on the plant. I never really track it because it would make me crazy. [grin]

-
 -

by comfrey on February 13, 2006 11:17 AM
Ok..I was trying to stay away from ebay...I have the ebay addiction [Big Grin] I was looking on there last night and finally just had to close the page. I could spend hours just browsing on ebay.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 14, 2006 01:26 AM
Me to about ebay [lala] [Frown] But it was the only spot i found good deals on baby plants, i'm in zone 6 and stores around here a lacking right now [tears]

-
 -
by JV on February 14, 2006 04:06 AM
My new AV just bought at Home Depot $3.98 also bought a Baby Jade for $2.84 will post it in suc. forum here is my new White AV .
 -
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Triss on February 14, 2006 04:08 AM
That one is really pretty Jimmy. Love the yellow center, stands out so much!

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on February 14, 2006 04:14 AM
That's a really nice one, Jimmy - so clean and crisp looking!

-
 -
by comfrey on February 14, 2006 12:54 PM
I love the white av Jimmy! I just spent the past 4 hours looking at pictures of av and made a list of all the different ones I would like to have, Now I have a better idea of what to look for name wise.

-
 -
by barleychown on February 14, 2006 01:02 PM
Comfrey, what colors do you lean towards?

-
 -

by FlowerNewbie on February 14, 2006 10:34 PM
You didn't ask me but I so love the blooms on the multi color blue/yellow/white - like the "Sky and snow", "anastasia", and l'heure bleu! How pretty!!! [flower] [flower] [clappy] [flower] [flower]

-
 -
by barleychown on February 15, 2006 12:44 AM
I lean towards blue/purple with edges of a different color. I have to be careful when I order leaves, or I will not end up with a good mix of colors. [Big Grin]

-
 -

by FlowerNewbie on February 15, 2006 01:00 AM
I think I'm going to do one of those "our choice" deals. That way I'll get all different ones.

-
 -
by comfrey on February 15, 2006 01:03 AM
I seem to be leaning towards the red ones, also the real blue ones, but I also seem to be attracted to the varigated leaves, no matter what the color of the flower.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 15, 2006 01:05 AM
I found a vendor off of avsa that does a great our choice deal for plants that are either in bloom or about to and the say the our choice ones are going to be the most older. Which I want cause all my little guys are just that little and I prob won't see any blooms for a long while. I want to have all the stages not just babies!

-
 -
by JV on February 19, 2006 09:12 AM
Here is what I bought today while I was slipping around here. A blue AV my favorite color.
 -
This verigated leaf Pink AV. I made at least 8 stores had these I thought there was something wrong with them but Carolyn @ Wal-mart by me said this was a verigated not sick. Am trying leaf from another one she gave me.
 -
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by plants 'n pots on February 19, 2006 11:11 AM
Very nice, Jimmy - I really like that variegation!

-
 -
by JV on February 19, 2006 11:54 PM
Thanks Lynne hope I can get baby's that come true. That way can share with people here.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by comfrey on February 20, 2006 09:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by JV:
Thanks Lynne hope I can get baby's that come true. That way can share with people here.
Jimmy

Wonderful looking plants Jimmy...Put my name on the list of people to share with [thumb] I esp love the pink varigated one. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by comfrey on February 20, 2006 09:50 AM
I've got a question, when taking a leave, should it be from the outside or inside? My mother says from the inside and everywhere I have read about av says from the outside.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: