The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Gardenia won't bloom

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: My Gardenia Needs Help| Next thread: My Gardenias are dying »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2
by Elizabeth K on July 31, 2005 11:39 PM
I's sure that all of you at The Garden Helper have heard this all before. I purchased a large, healthy gardenia in the late Spring. Since I live in zone 5, I decided to leave the plant outside in it's container so that I could bring it inside in the winter. When purchased, the plant had many nice, fat buds. Only one bud ever made it to flowering...the others simply fell off of the plant. Now, the plant looks healthy, shiny and green. It, however, does not flower! I have it located on my deck where it receives full sun until around noon. The rest of the day it gets bright light, but not direct sun. In the early evening it, again, gets a little full sun. I keep the soil moist, fertilize about every two weeks with a bloom boosting fertilizer. What the heck am I doing wrong. I know gardenias are tempermental and stubborn. So am I! I am not giving up. I want flowers! Am I doing something wrong or is there more I can do? Thanks for any suggestions--I will try them all. Thanks.

Elizabeth
by RugbyHukr on August 01, 2005 12:07 AM
They are very sensitive to temperature. If they are in the ground, they are more tolerant. But, if in a pot, they need temps between 60-75. You have probably been in the 90's with high humidity, lately. Try growing as a houseplant in the very brightest spot.

Go STEELERS !!!!

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Elizabeth K on August 01, 2005 03:31 AM
Thanks, I did not realize they were sensitive out-of-doors. Wow, I guess I was wrong. Yes, we have been in the 90's. I will move the plant indoors. The temp will be perfect. Humidity about 50%. As far as light, should I aim for full sun or indirect, bright light. I also have a good grow light. Thanks, again, for your suggestions.

Elizabeth

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My Gardenia Needs Help| Next thread: My Gardenias are dying »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: