The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Moving from FL to OH... Have a few plant questions, please.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Moving evergreens| Next thread: Moving houseplents? »
Back to Thread index
by LauraK on July 31, 2005 08:54 AM
Hello
I am relocating from FL to OH in about a month. I am beginning the task of seeing which plants can survive the move and climate relocation and which I will need to give to family staying here.

I have a large aloe plant which has lived outdoors. I would like to take this with me for sentimental reason and would like to know if the chances are good that it will adjust to becoming an indoor plant (with visits outside during the summer months)?

The same question (above) applies for a large ivy plant (not sure of what type exactly) and a large peace lily plant too.

I have pretty much decided from my readings that the lantana, penta, gerber daisy, butterfly bush, and other butterfly plant will remain in FL. [flower]

I have a very large rose plant (not sure of the type) which has been with us for at least 4+ years. It has been transferred to larger post through the years due to it's growth. I have never planted it in the ground due to our rental status. I am wondering if this plant can adjust back to indoors or if I would be better to plant it when I arrive to OH and then try to care for it during the winter months? [dunno]

Any help/information with these issues is much appreciated. I am a beginner/novice when it comes to gardening, so my apologies if anything asked seems to be a bit redundant. Thank you! [Smile]

Laura
by Karrie on July 31, 2005 09:58 AM
I live in Indiana somewhat close to the Il boreder. I have gerber daiseys in the yard they are beautiful of course they are grown as an annual here I also have a beautiful butterfly bush here grows larger and larger each year. It is 3 years old and needs to be moved due to its size. I also have lantana its beautiful as well. But again grown as an annual here. Hope that offers some help.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Karrie on July 31, 2005 09:58 AM
Opps sorry we are on the Il side of the state but the temps are still very similar to Ohio!

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by BFVISION on July 31, 2005 09:34 PM
Good Luck on the move [thumb] . That looks like a big difference in zones. I moved from Long Island to Northern Jersey three yrs ago and am shocked [shocked] at the difference a zone makes. I re-planted many bushes and perrenials(about35) and made 2-3 trips before the move, but mostly took only the real hardy stuff. I would look closely [critic] at the zones before digging, the shock of moving(for both you and the plants) can be too much.
Good Luck, you are now entering a whole new level of gardening, spring bulbs should be in your fall plans [clappy] [clappy] ...

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by Ceilteach on September 21, 2005 12:17 AM
I recently moved from FL to CT; I brought my pothos, english ivy, rubber plant, geraniums (which were reduced to stalks after the kittens had lunch on them one day) and all fared well during and after the move. Most of my flowering plants I left behind me, they were too delicate.
I also called the Florida Dept of Agriculture and got some great advice from them as to whether there were any restrictions on bringing certain types. (luckily there were not).
Good luck, moving sucks. [thumb]

"You come to nature with all her theories, and she knocks them all flat."
Pierre Auguste Renoir
by RugbyHukr on September 21, 2005 01:18 AM
They should all be okay as long as you keep them as houseplants.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by tkhooper on September 21, 2005 10:32 PM
Aloe are pretty forgiving for the most part.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Moving evergreens| Next thread: Moving houseplents? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: