The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rose of Sharon Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: rose of sharon| Next thread: Rose of Sharon questions »
Back to Thread index
by Triss on July 29, 2005 10:31 AM
I have been reading up on Hibiscus and have found in many cases that it can be a year long plant.

So my question is, I have seeds and wanted to know if I could start them indoors now and then plant them outside next spring, keeping them as an indoor plant for the rest of the summer and through the winter.

And if I can do this, could I also do it with other varieties?

Thanks

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by toma on August 01, 2005 10:26 PM
Rose of Sharon, Hibiscus, Syriacus, isn't a rose but its large and nectar atract from hummingbirds and tiny insects.
The flowers on this shrub (Rose of Sharon it's a shrub) including whitwe, pink, red and pyurple colors (in my contry Roumania - South East Europe predominant is red variety so if you want send me a some seeds I thanks-ful). Hibiscus Syriacus it's a perennial woody shrub who blooming late summer to early fall. hibiscus Siriacus it's native from pakistan and claming full sun.
So:
the culture a rose of Sharon is propagated primarily by rooted stem cuttings, but also by seeds. Prefer moist, well drained soils suplemented with organic matter in full sun, but is very adaptable to various soils, soil pHs, soil compact dought and pollution (and ist therefore urban tolerant).
Seed collection is easy. Allow the flowers to fade, do not shear back or prune the bush after flowering. Seed pods are somewhat tear-shaped, fat and nearly an inch across, immature pods are medium green. When mature they turn dusty brown and split apart with a star shaped opening. Remove the mature pods and allow to dry for a few days to ease with seed removal. Several dried pods can be placed in a tightly lidded plastic container to be shaken, the rattling will loosen and release the seeds from the pods.
by Triss on August 01, 2005 10:31 PM
Yes, thanks for all of that information. I have been doing a lot of reading and learning about the plants.

Still wondering if I could give it a head start by starting indoors over the winter.

-
 -
by njoynit on August 01, 2005 11:38 PM
you could start them,but they will go dormant& then re awaken in spring.I have done this.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Triss on August 01, 2005 11:48 PM
Thanks so much! Does it make for a larger plant once spring does hit or would I get the same by sowing seeds come spring?

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: rose of sharon| Next thread: Rose of Sharon questions »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: