The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

zoysia grass

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Zoo Roses| Next thread: Zoysia Grass »
Back to Thread index
by auntnene on August 30, 2006 12:06 AM
We are getting patches of zoysia grass [Eek!] I'm just sick. I called a friend who does chemical treatments on yards and he said nothing will stop it. He said he has completely dug up a yard, taken a layer of soil off, treated it, hauled in top soil and sodded and now, three years later, the guy is getting more patches coming up. I'm just sick. We worked so hard to get a good stand of grass. Is he right? Isn't there something out there that will stop it?

thanks

Please God, make me as good as my cat thinks I am!
by patches1414 on August 30, 2006 12:27 PM
Auntnene, I have the same problem, but it's with the Bermuda grass which I first noticed coming up in my landscaped beds about 12 years ago. [Frown] I didn't know what it was, so I took it to the nursery in town and the man identified it for me, [thumb] so I figured that's half the battle won! [Wink] Now that we know what it is, he can tell me what I could do about it! [Wink] WRONG! [dunno] When I told him my problem and asked what I should do - he just said, "MOVE"! [Eek!]

It came over from my neighbor's yard and it's terribly invasive. I've tried tilling and digging up the runners; but, it's everywhere and I think the roots must go down to China! It's horrible! [Mad] I've been fighting this Bermuda grass battle for about 12 years now, but I think I'm losing the war! [tears]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Dixie Angel on August 30, 2006 03:07 PM
OK...gotta confess here...

We planted plugs of zoysia grass and hope it overtakes here. It is good to know that our wish might come true...

Good to see you, auntnene! Been wondering where you might be...

Dianna

-
 -
by patches1414 on August 30, 2006 04:51 PM
quote:
We planted plugs of zoysia grass and hope it overtakes here. It is good to know that our wish might come true...

Dianne, both Zoysia and Bermuda are beautiful grasses and they make a wonderful, plush lawn, [thumb] if that's what you want and many people do! [Wink] I just don't want either of them in my yard because they would take over my landscaped beds and my perennial beds. [Eek!] Of course, the Bermuda grass is doing that now and I hate it! [Mad] It's just a matter of personal preference. I hope you Zoysia grass comes up nicely for you, as I'm sure it will! [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by auntnene on August 31, 2006 01:19 AM
The problem with it here is it takes so long to become green and it get brown very early. It also takes over the flower beds. My yard guy calls it , "a weed". [Frown]

((Dixie)) in SC, it will probably flourish. If you need more, come and get it [Big Grin]

thanks for the howdy.

by joclyn on August 31, 2006 05:05 PM
i've got zoisa in my front yard (was there when i bought the house) - it's been there long enough that it's through just about all of the lawn. still have some regular grass mixed in, tho.

it's not growing in the flower bed. not yet anyway as it's not quite filled in all the way up to the edgers that are around the bed. i'm hoping that the edges are deep enough to keep it out of the bed. if not, i'll just be pulling the stuff up all the time.

yes, it makes for a nice thick lawn.

i don't like it tho as it's rough on bare feet (and i don't wear shoes in the summer unless i have to) and it does take a while to green-up in the spring. also goes dormant (and turns brown) if there's too much dry weather.

dixie, my dad planted a dozen plugs in the back yard when i was a teenager. in 25 or so years, the whole back yard has turned completely zoisa and it's spread through half of the neighbor on the left's yard.

there are two other yards that butt up to it. i don't know about the yard to the right as there's a fence and i can't see grass. the yard behind doesn't seem to have any zoisa tho, that i can remember. i'll have to take a look the next time i'm over there. at one point, the owners of that property had a flower bed that extended the full length of the property - right at the borderline, so that may have kept the zoisa from spreading.

not sure, i'll take a look next time i'm there [Smile]

auntnene, couldn't begin to tell you how to get rid of it. if there's not that much there, you might want to pull up what you can and treat the area with gas. i know! that's really extreme. i don't think any of the regular weed-killers will get rid of it tho. and i'm not recommending treating large areas with gas, either...i'm talking about small patches a few inches square. if it's further along than that, i doubt you'll be able to do anything about it.
by patches1414 on August 31, 2006 09:50 PM
Well, I've never really had to deal with Zoysia grass, just the Bermuda, but I know that the Bermuda grass spreads faster than I can keep up with it! [Big Grin] Evidently, there's a lot of people who have it and love it! [Love]

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on September 01, 2006 12:59 AM
Dare I mention that we, also, scattered some Bermuda seed when we first bought this place? [perplexed] We were looking for anything to cover this mud hole that we moved to and we wanted it to spread as fast as it could...

Yes, I have noticed it in my flower beds. I haven't had the time to get out and pull weeds, though. It looks like I have a Bermuda Grass bed instead of flowers! [Big Grin]

auntnene, I hope you are able to get rid of it, though, since you want to. I would come get it if I could!

Dianna

-
 -
by patches1414 on September 01, 2006 07:35 AM
quote:
I have noticed it in my flower beds. I haven't had the time to get out and pull weeds, though. It looks like I have a Bermuda Grass bed instead of flowers!
Dianne, that's what I'm afraid will happen to mine if I don't keep on top of it. [Eek!] Bermuda grass roots are like wire and hard to cut, so I don't think I will ever get rid of it, [Frown] but perhaps I can control it enough to keep it from taking over my beds. [Wink] [dunno]

-
 -
by auntnene on September 23, 2006 08:24 PM
Zoysia produces runners that go deep and seem to go forever when I start pulling it up. My flower bed is so hard to keep clean. I'm tempted to dig up the flowers and let the grass have it's own way. I have natural rock boarders so that would mean moving all the rock. Oh gosh, I'm tired just thinking about it [Roll Eyes]

by youcan on October 10, 2006 08:49 AM
Has anyone tried Roundup to kill the Zoysia grass?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Zoo Roses| Next thread: Zoysia Grass »
Back to Thread index