The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

edging?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Ecological Garden any ideas?| Next thread: Edible fruit from seed? »
Back to Thread index
by ND farm girl on August 18, 2006 03:46 AM
Where do people get those flatter slabs of rock for stacking to make garden bed edging? Not flagstone;I bought some flagstone once for a small walkway - but it was VERY expensive!

PattyM
by aighead on October 17, 2006 02:15 PM
I've got some that look like this:  -

That, I got from a friend with an old torn down barn. Maybe you have a similar alternative somewhere if you are willing to go ask someone. Offer them a couple bucks or a nice dinner and maybe they'll be happy to get rid of it.
by sibyl on October 18, 2006 12:08 AM
i got mine from the woods, down by the creek,,,off the old country roadsides, just pulled over and tossed em in my trunk here and there,, just make shure their not on someones propertie, most townships/counties dont care if you take a rock off the side of the road,
aigheads got an idea, construction sites a good place, the more people take, the less they have to pay to remove it,

-
 -
by aighead on October 18, 2006 01:26 PM
Good call sibyl, country roads are always good! Find a small bridge where there is a creek nearby and you'll be good to go. Transporting them may be your biggest issue, like from the creek to your vehicle, but free rock is good rock.

I've had to break some of mine so I'm learning that big rock is only good for big jobs. Realistically, I could have gone with stones the size of a couple VHS tapes stacked together.
by tkhooper on October 18, 2006 08:08 PM
Stream beds do produce some great rocks. I did that in my dads rental's garden one year. I found great looking granite and toted it down for the garden.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 20, 2006 12:25 PM
I think rock-getting is illegal here.
Sheesh, what isn't.....
I would LOVE to go out in our canyons and dig up some native plants ! But so many are protected.

-
 -
by buzylady on October 21, 2006 12:01 PM
I think it is illegal. Be very careful. My sister-in-law took me to a river near her work, we were loading up some nice rocks. A cop came by and told us to unload the truck or he would arrest us for stealing. I almost laughed. Stealing ROCKS!
She got me some nice ones tho at work. They were digging a new water line and there were flat ones laying everywhere. She brought me 3 truck loads. Not the shale like I have around my house. I tried to build a small wall with them, but alot of the shale has fallen apart.
Be Careful, be very careful.
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by LandArt on October 22, 2006 04:23 AM
Hello - I'd also be careful taking rocks from around bridges that are over streams, creeks, or whatever body of water. Those are installed to control erosion of the embankment. My ex-husband worked for a contractor, and I've gotten most of my rocks from construction sites that he and I worked on.
by Jiffymouse on October 22, 2006 06:07 AM
and, if you are in the south like i am, if you find rocks, most likely they have been imported and paid dearly for. of course, there are exceptions, but i'm on the "be careful" bandwagon!
by aighead on October 24, 2006 01:22 PM
Yeah, I'd suggest against rocks that look like they were placed there. There are many a creek, where you'd likely be fine. If you get stopped just play dumb.
by sibyl on October 27, 2006 12:07 PM
[shocked] i cant belive its illegal to take a rock in some places! the river rock the township buys you cant take, they put them around the coverd bridges and in colverts, i guess it depends were you live.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ecological Garden any ideas?| Next thread: Edible fruit from seed? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: