The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New Here

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: New Herbs !| Next thread: New Here....from PNW »
Back to Thread index
by Fern on September 12, 2004 03:06 AM
Hi, I'm new here and I have a question about liquid amber trees. We live in Southern CA, and the city plants trees on the parkway. Our tree got infested with some kind of insect, and the middle of the trunk is eaten out.

Anyone have experience with filling in the hollows of trees with
1. cement
2. foam
3. clay

The city won't do it, and I don't want the tree to damage our property. Anyone who's done this before, please respond.

Thank you and I'm pleased to find your community.

ForestFemme
by weezie13 on September 12, 2004 04:11 AM
[wayey] Hi Fern, [wayey]

Just so you know, I'm going to move your post into the Plants and Flowers Section, it's a little more traveled area for the question you're asking and the gardeners that frequent thru there will be able to help you a little bit better!!!!

I do know one of our Hostesses (Catlover) is from your area, and I think she's got those trees and may have some help for you!!!!

OH, Catlover [kitty] , where are youuuuuuuuuuuu???
You've got another Californian!!!! [lala]

We were having a race to see who would get more from their state, but I think she's kickin' butt right now!!!

Weezie

P/S Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by the way!!! We are very glad you found us!!!
And don't forget to take a peak around all the other sections too, got lot's to keep you busy, in every month of the year!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by afgreyparrot on September 12, 2004 04:15 AM
Hi, Fern! [wayey] Just stopped in to say hello and welcome you to the forum. Nice to meet you!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Jiffymouse on September 12, 2004 03:38 PM
every thing i have read and heard and seen says that an exposed cavity in a tree should not be filled. if it is filled, you run the risks of:

creating a home for more damaging parasites,

the cavity cannot be monitored for expansion (indicating when the tree should be removed) and

if water gets under the fill, it can rot the tree from the inside out without a chance to drain, dry, be utilized by squirrels, birds, etc.
by Carly on September 13, 2004 08:13 AM
Welcome, Fern - I'm Carly, from Toronto, Canada.

I dunno' about filling in - just thought I'd say hello. 'Cept, some people wrap jute around the wound of a tree - I don't know if that would help it any and I don't know if it would help stop any disease from spreading.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Bess of the Piedmont on September 13, 2004 06:07 PM
Alas, the tree should probably be cut down before it falls down. If the limbs are anywhere near power or phone lines, you may be able to get the power or phone company to take down the tree for you at their expense.

-
 -
by Arctostaphylos on September 13, 2004 06:26 PM
Well here is my two cents worth, first of all as Jiffymouse points out the science is very clear that filling cavities is of no value and often creates an envirionment favorable to pathogens. Secondly you description sounds like a fungal pathogen but you say its insects. In general insects may be eradicated while fungi can not, but I digress. As to the specifics of your Liquidambar if it is a street tree the City is likely the "owner". If that is the case they are obligated to review the tree for safety and remove it if necessary. If the tree is under your ownership I would strongly suggest you retain a quilified arborist to do a hazard assesment on your tree, so you know what your options are. Lastly I would just offer that Liquidambar trees are notorious for being shallow aggresively rooting trees, they drop a lot of litter, and are moderatly suseptable to decay as a result we do not commonly recommend planting them, particullary along a street. Good luck.
by catlover on September 13, 2004 09:54 PM
Sorry I hadn't seen this post before.
I have 25 liquid ambers left(planted by previous owner)...The l.ambers next to the house I am going to remove because the root system is humungous and going to uplift the side of the house. The roots are starting to cause problems with the lawnmower now by making trenches. The rest are around the property line and not too much of a problem....except when trying to mow over the stinken balls it drops. Yes, they are very messy....I can deal with the leaves...in fact I love it for my compost pile but the darn spikey balls they drop are a pain. I can't imagine them planting that type of tree next to a road. [Frown] I don't have a clue about the disease/insect problem....I would personally be out there chopping it down.....and planting something else....but then again you have to deal with the city!
A lot of people consider them weeds for trees. [Roll Eyes]
Keep us updated on the situation.
[kitty]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New Herbs !| Next thread: New Here....from PNW »
Back to Thread index