The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Shrimp and Grits

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by Tonya on December 04, 2006 02:18 PM
Figured out a good recipe for this and wanted to share...

½ - 1 lb fresh shrimp- peeled (deveined if desired)
1 can Diced tomatoes with green chiles
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
¼ cup chopped onion
1-2 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
2-4 servings of grits
Sour cream
butter
Olive oil

Combine tomatoes, parsley, onion, garlic, S&P in bowl and set aside. In large saucepan put 1 tbsp oil and 3-4 "pats" of butter and heat over medium/high heat. Once butter/oil is hot- add shrimp and cook until almost done. Add "salsa" mixture and simmer until grits are done (follow package instructions on those). Once grits are done- add cheddar cheese to them and stir well. Place desired amount of grits in a bowl and top with shrimp and salsa mixture and a dallop of sour cream.

Enjoy!! I sure did! [grin] [thumb]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by chenno on December 04, 2006 11:56 PM
Sounds good Tonya, I have never had grits? will have to try it;-)

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Tonya on December 05, 2006 01:02 AM
Grits are definitely a "southern" thing! They ae YUMMY!!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by joclyn on December 05, 2006 02:50 AM
that sounds really good, tonya!!

re: grits. yes they're a southern thing...very, very good when they are cooked properly (nasty when they aren't).

i love grits!
by Tonya on December 05, 2006 04:19 AM
I fix my grits with ½ milk, ½ water and LOTS of butter and cheese! [thumb] Summer has eaten them every morning for 2 weeks now! She is my little southern belle! [Big Grin]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by chenno on December 05, 2006 08:58 AM
what it is??potato?

-
 -
Plutarch
by Tonya on December 06, 2006 12:47 AM
I think they are a corn product.. [dunno]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by chenno on December 06, 2006 12:49 AM
hmmm, need to find it..is it in a can???

-
 -
Plutarch
by Tonya on December 06, 2006 12:59 AM
No- you can buy it in the breakfast isle, near the oatmeal. I buy the family sized boxes, but there are boxes of single serve packets also. They are kinda bland unless you flavor them You can get cheese flavored, bacon flavored, or plain. Let me know what you think...

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by joclyn on December 06, 2006 01:36 AM
grits is corn. tonya is correct - in the cereal aisle next to the cream of wheat and oatmeal.

there are two types - instant and have-to-cook. i think the instant kind is the one with the flavors already in there

i usually get the have-to-cook type and i put some syrup in it - gonna have to try the cheese as that sounds really yummo!
by chenno on December 08, 2006 12:48 AM
Well, I will pick some grits up this weekend;-)and let ya know..

-
 -
Plutarch
by Tonya on December 08, 2006 10:52 PM
by hisgal2 on December 16, 2006 10:42 AM
So, Chenno......did you try grits? I can't imagine knowing if they were "done" if you've never had them. [Big Grin] I LOVE grits. They are hard to find here. They are crushed corn. I like mine mixed in with my over easy eggs. Sometimes I melt jam or jelly in mine also. But they are BEST with butter and salt. Mmmmm.....gonna have to make some to go with my pancakes tomorrow!!!

-
 -

-
by chenno on December 18, 2006 11:04 PM
I have been to 3 stores so far...no grits? odd, I will keep looking,I asked the lady at the store and she said what is it?lol

-
 -
Plutarch
by joclyn on December 19, 2006 01:36 AM
they might be hard to find since you are so far north...

i googled (i just LUV google) and came up with

quaker grits store listing the only store that's listed in your state is walmart...if you have any of the other grocery chains near you, you can ask the store manager to order some in (which shouldn't be a problem if the company carries the item as part of their inventory). or you can just call different grocery stores...only 3 companies are listed for PA...those grocery chains aren't even in my area...the chains that ARE here carry the product (every one of them). so, don't give up hope of finding it!!

quaker also has an online store so you can order some and have them delivered right to your house if you can't find a store that sells it!!
by chenno on December 21, 2006 01:54 AM
Thanks:-) I will check walmart and if not will order after the holidays,when I have a few more of my brain cells working;-)
appreciate your info:-)Joclyn

-
 -
Plutarch

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: