The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My yard went from shady --> sunny in an instant.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: My yard & its challenges| Next thread: My yucca is dying! »
Back to Thread index
by JoMac53 on August 03, 2006 10:58 AM
We had to have one of our silver maples removed from our front yard last year. [tears] It was on the southeast side and the whole yard instantly changed from fully, deeply shaded to pretty darn sunny. It was a good change for the lilacs at the south corner of the house [Smile] but kinda hard on the lawn. [Frown] The other plants seem to be adapting okay -- just periwinkle & arborvitae 'cuz nothing else has lasted in the clay soil & heavy shade unless you count the mushrooms! [grin]

I had a whole plan mapped out for all shade plants but, fortunately I guess, I was only half-way through the plan -- after 15 years! [Embarrassed]

Now we want to plant another tree but a smaller one, like a dogwood or Japanese maple. [thinker]

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced a change like this from shade to sun (other vice versa) and how it effected their landscaping?

Jo
by Wrennie on August 04, 2006 01:09 AM
I had to take a tree down once. it made that side of the yard sunnier so that was where I put my veggie garden. [grin] Japanese cherry trees and flowering pears are nice too. Theyre ornamental so no fruit but pretty flowers. Or an actual fruit tree there so pretty blooms in the spring, shade in the summer, fruit in the fall! [clappy]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My yard & its challenges| Next thread: My yucca is dying! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: