The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

What to do with all these pie pumpkins?

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by netty on November 14, 2006 01:07 AM
Hi everyone!
I've got 8 pie pumpkins here and I'm looking for some new recipes! I have a great pie recipe, but I'm looking for some new ideas. Tried serving pumpkin for dinner and it didn't go over well at all! Anyone?

-
 -
by angelblossom on November 14, 2006 09:28 AM
Pumpkin Bread
Pumpkin cookies
This week end I'm posting reciepes I just can't on week nights Cus I get home late and go to bed early
I think I remember seeing those reciepes last year at this time on reciepes Netty maybe do a search for pumpkin reciepes on here If you need to cook them up right away?

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by netty on November 14, 2006 09:32 PM
Thanks angelblossom, I'll check! [thumb]

-
 -
by Bill on November 14, 2006 09:39 PM
by ChristinaC on November 15, 2006 12:15 AM
Hi Netty [wavey]
How did you prepare it when you served it for dinner? Pumpkin can be prepared in the same way as squash...many different ways!
I like the basic Maple Mashed Pumpkin.
How about Roasted Herbed Pumpkin and Harvest Vegetables?
Or Spiced Pumpkin and Pepper Chowder.
Do any of these sound like something you'd like to try?
I'll post the recipe if you like. [Smile]
Then the dessert options are endless...Pumpkin Cake, Pumpkin-Pecan Squares, Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes, Pumpkin Bars with Ginger Snap Pecan Crust....
Let me know.
Christina

-
 -
by netty on November 15, 2006 03:43 AM
Thanks Bill! I think my kids might like those cookies (but without the raisins!) and we do roast the seeds.
Christina-I used the recipe that Wrennie posted here. I liked it, the kids didn't! They are not big on squash either, but they sure can eat pumpkin pie! I think my best bet is to find bread, cookie and bar recipes. My babysitter has made pumpkin ice cream and said it was really good so maybe I'll try that too.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on November 15, 2006 06:42 AM
Netty, you might also try a pumpkin cake roll. I love they way these look and am actually making one in place of pie for Thanksgiving. Here is a link to recipe the recipe.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by netty on November 15, 2006 07:39 AM
Oh thanks Sarah! That looks yummy. I think I'll be trying that one!

-
 -
by LandOfOz on November 23, 2006 01:26 AM
Netty, I just made that cake roll--be sure that you unroll and frost it when it is quite warm, otherwise the cake will crack apart. Also, don't melt the butter for the frosting because you are going to need the frosting fluffy and not runny. My cake looks like a nasty blob of orange and cream colored stuff. [Mad] [Mad] [shocked] [dunno] Not appetizing at all.

Wishing you good luck! [thumb]
Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by netty on November 23, 2006 02:42 AM
Thanks for the tips Sarah! If I'm making my family try new stuff, it has to LOOK good or it doesn't stand a chance [Big Grin]

-
 -
by joclyn on November 23, 2006 05:15 AM
ahh, the cakeroll was going to be my suggestion...i'm glad you got to it first, sarah...cuz i don't have a recipe for it. an old boyfriend used to make it. he REFUSED to give the recipe - for the cake or for the filling...it was absolutely to-die-for tho!!
by Shirley4 on November 25, 2006 12:44 AM
Sarah, you could have spooned it into dishes, topped it with whipped cream and called it "Pumkin Roll Pudding". They wouldn't have known it was a mistake! [Big Grin]

-
 -
Some hearts, like evening primroses, open more beautifully in the shadows of life.
 -  - Shirley's Secret Room
by LandOfOz on November 25, 2006 06:57 AM
Netty, my family is the same way. Everything has to look nice and must not include the word "onion" or "pepper." I wound up freezing the dang roll in my bread pan and it turned out not-too-terrible looking. My husband tried some last night and went on and on about how good it was.

Shirley, ahh, to be creative on the fly is beyond my abilities. I'll have to remember your suggestion for next time I make a faux pas while assembling a roll cake!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: