The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

lemon mint or balm

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Lemon grass| Next thread: Lemon PLant »
Back to Thread index
by plantingnewb on July 06, 2006 06:48 AM
I have tons of lemon mint or I guess its called lemon balm. I'm not sure of the difference, but its growing all over.
In the beginning of spring our whole garden was full of it, before we planted vegetables.
I guess whoever lived in our house before, planted it and since it't so invasive, it has spread all over.
I cut it down in early spring and it must have grown 3 ft. already. It is spreading more, so I guess I have to dig them out, which is not going to be easy. [Eek!]

Any other advice on how to get rid of it?
Tammy
by netwiz on July 06, 2006 08:17 AM
Hi Tammy,

I am experiencing something similar here and the local Master Gardener recommended using Roundup. She told me that digging them up leaves viable roots while using roundup kills them completely. I was shocked but figure it will be MUCH easier than trying to dig up entire beds of invasive plants. I'll have to watch this thread to see what everyone here recommends. Good luck!

Joanne
by Wrennie on July 07, 2006 12:40 AM
I was going to say keep pulling it up. I hate chemicals but the roundup sounds like a quicker less labor intensive permanent solution. I think I would cut it way down and then spray. You wont need to use so much product and less chance of wayward spray getting on other plants. Remember to check the wind and put up a barrier(cardboard or a tarp so the overspray doesnt get anything else.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by melissaincanada on August 06, 2006 02:19 AM
I have a problem with it too. It's all through my strawberry bed, intermingled with the plants I want. I don't like to use any sprays so I just keep digging it up, and digging it up....

Some gardeners don't find it spreads like crazy but this year, it's gone nuts in my garden. Some of it suddenly grew 2-3 feet tall. Crazy!

~Melissa in Canada
My Garden Blog
My Garden Art/Junk

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Lemon grass| Next thread: Lemon PLant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: