The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

What's for Lunch??

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by weezie13 on September 25, 2006 12:05 AM
What's for Lunch??

*keeping lunches seperate (on a different post)from dinners,
then they're easy to look up*

We had started this thread a few times....

Lunch?" and sometimes it's nice to
read something, like what someone had for their Lunch or planning for Lunch and it helps you make a decision for your own...

If you come along and you've got one of your favoritest lunches or easiest to make, or quick to put together.. and what the side dishes are...
it's fun to read them...

As you might be able to tell, I'm stump~ti~fied..
I like to cook, but just get tired of the same things all the time....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by afgreyparrot on September 25, 2006 01:30 AM
Creamed Tuna

Make a medium white sauce, when it's thick add a can or two of tuna (drained).

Serve over buttered toast.

I heat up a can of mixed greens while I'm making the creamed tuna.

Healthy lunch is ready in 5 minutes!! [grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Tonya on September 25, 2006 08:41 PM
I like to do veggie burritos...
slice your favorite veggies and put in a large flour tortilla, top with your favorite dressing roll up and enjoy! Quick, easy, and delicious! You can add leftover chicken or steak, also!!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Triss on September 28, 2006 07:14 AM
We call this one leftover soup.

The leftover meat from last nights dinner. usually chicken or pork. Add that to a couple of packages of ramen and toss in 1/4 of a cabbage. A very quick and easy lunch.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by angelblossom on September 28, 2006 08:00 AM
Hot open face bbq sandwiches
Preheat oven to Broil..
With left over roast beef OR browned ground chuck ,pork roast , chicken, or brisket
BBQ Sauce
French Bread Loaf UNcut

shredd meat,put in sauce pan with your fav bbq sauce and heat making sure it remains thick.
In the meant time cut french bread length ways and layer with your fav. cheese slices. Place open halves of loaf on aluminum foil spread Bbq mixture on top and layer again with cheese(Shredded cheese works really well for topping)
Place foil with prepared loaf halves directly on center rack in oven
Heat under broiler until cheese bubbles and bread has toasted lightly. ( about 10 minutes
Let cool about 5 minutes and slice in wide slices and serve with tossed salad , and pinapple rings

Dwight likes the bottom of the bread toasted so I sometimes I put on a pizza baking sheet with the holes in it and bake on 400 so the bread gets crispier and the cheese doesn't get too dark,,about 20 minutes either way is great!

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Deborah L. on September 30, 2006 02:22 AM
My fave - a grilled cheese sammich on sourdough.
I tuck a few rinsed basil leaves inside the sandwich before grilling.
This and a whompin' huge Coke - HEAVEN !
Sometimes I use spaghetti sauce as a dip.

-
 -
by weezie13 on September 30, 2006 02:52 AM
Here's a quick idea...
If you make things in large quantity's when making them, such as Chili..
You can baggie up a couple of lunch sized bags and freeze them..
They freeze up great.. and when you're stumped for lunch and it's cold outside, and you're lookin' for something quick..
Just pull out one of those single serve baggies and instant lunch *or do 3, 4, etc sizes for dinner*

I do that with Chili, Goulash, and even my homemade spaghetti sauce...
That way I have them for individual servings if I need them for like some plain noodles for the kids for an afterschool snack and they want my homemade sauce as opposed to a canned/jar sauce..

I also do that for grilling like hotdogs..
I grill up an extra one or two... and then have it for lunch in a day or two... no long time waiting for the grill to warm up or cookin' time.
Just pop it in the micro for a wee~bit o'time...

I alsssso do that for corn on the cob.
Cook up extra and baggie it up in a gallon ziplock or even something like that new stuff out called "Press~n~Seal" ***I Loveeee that stuff*** [Cool] [grin] [thumb] and wrap the corn in it and can pop that into the micro in the next day or two...

Keeps me with somethings that are home made with out ALWAYS STANDING IN THE KITCHEN COOKING IT!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Triss on September 30, 2006 03:00 AM
Amen to that Weezie! Leftovers are such a good way to feed the kids healthy and not spend hours and hours in the kitchen.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by weezie13 on September 30, 2006 04:56 AM
They're good too, so like when the adults have something spicey.. and kids don't eat that...
You have an individal serving for their lunch/dinner without the extra hassle....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on October 18, 2006 11:07 PM
Yesterday I had mac~n~cheese, home grown tomato slices ~the last of them [Eek!] [Eek!] ~ and some cottage cheese...

Couldnt' think of much..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by hisgal2 on October 19, 2006 12:39 AM
lunch??? I haven't even had breakfast yet!? Oy! [Roll Eyes]

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on October 23, 2006 10:26 PM
Well While I'm eating my homefries for breakfast the yeast is activating for 100% whole wheat benoits. They make the best sandwich bread there is. I just got the recipe from Diane last week and could wait to run out of bread so I had any excuse to try it. I hope I've got the spelling right. It's Deep fat fried. And it was so delicious I had to litterally stop myself from eating them all.

Anyway I plan on filling them with mustard and a touch or horseradish sauce, tomatoes and thinly sliced pork roast. And then it's enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

-
 -
by hisgal2 on October 24, 2006 02:11 AM
McDonald's for lunch today.....too busy runing errands to actually make lunch! (plus need to get some game pieces for Monopoly!)

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on October 24, 2006 03:20 AM
They are fantastic. They were so good I called Teresa over and gave her enough for her family. Now I've got one more and then I'll have had 4 today. Fortunately there is enough dought for another batch tomorrow. That's if I'm greedy. If not maybe I'll make them up tonight for my visiting teacher companion and her family. They are such a great family.

-
 -
by hisgal2 on October 27, 2006 04:39 AM
today i went shopping with my neighbor and we went to Charlie Brown's for lunch. They have the BEST salad bar for lunch (they change it for dinner). It has the regular salad bar stuff and then they put sliced meats up for your salad also. Mmmmmm....its soooo good!

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on October 27, 2006 10:00 AM
that does sound great.

-
 -
by loz on October 28, 2006 12:57 AM
Right now I'm having a microwaveable hot pocket sub thing--ham and cheese...hey I'm sick and that's just gonna have to cut it today. [Big Grin]
by tkhooper on October 28, 2006 01:18 AM
I took a decongestant which is probably why I'm getting so much done. Of course when it wears off I'm going to be so zonked it won't even be funny. I think I'd better finish the kitchen before it does or I'm not going to be happy lol. Now where is that jug of water.....

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on October 30, 2006 12:03 AM
I just invented a good, fast lunch! [grin]

I heated a can of Cream of Mushroom soup.
...drained a can of Chicken Noodle soup and poured the noodles into the Cream of Mushroom soup.
...then dumped a can of tuna in.

Cha-CHING! I had "Tuna Noodle Casserole Soup"! [grin] [thumb]

-
 -
 -
by loz on October 30, 2006 10:33 AM
[shocked] Was that good Cindy? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Pretty creative of you. [thumb]
by weezie13 on October 30, 2006 11:54 AM
My mom used to do the can of Cream of Mushroom soup, half way cooked egg noodles, and tuna fish..
and then she'd pop it in the oven, say...350*'s
for about 20 or 30 minutes say.. Not 100% sure [dunno]

*although I have to admit it, when I made it,
I seive the mushrooms out and just use the creamed soup part..
*I am not much for those mushrooms..* [Frown] [Razz]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by penny in ontario on October 31, 2006 12:33 AM
A friend of mine growing up...her dad was a cook on a ship, and he made smothing similar....he used a box of Kraft dinner, and used the cheese and added tuna and the can of mushroom soup....and when i first heard what was in there, i used to turn my nose up at it when i was there for supper, and once i tried it....it was sooooo GOOD!!!!!!
He would also substitue the tuna for weiners chopped up and it was just as yummy!!

-
 -

-
by hisgal2 on October 31, 2006 01:17 AM
Weezie, I HATE fungus of any kind....but I keep trying them every once in a while just in case I happen to like it that particular day. ...although, I don't seem to mind them in the cream of mushroom soup...i guess they are small enough I don' realize I'm eating it....even though I'm the one who has put it in!

-
 -

-
by weezie13 on October 31, 2006 03:51 AM
I am somewhat similar...
I don't eat mushrooms, except one way...
I buy sliced/canned one's..
and I fry them crisp..
very slow and on low for a long time..
Kinda like dries them out..

and then when the pan is hot, and the mushrooms
are carmelized, I add my homemade spaghetti sauce to them, and they suck up all that sauce into them and they're yummmmmmmmmy!!!

I think cause the way I cook them, they aren't
all slimey and remind me of octopus or something..
*like those one's you get in Chinese food* [scaredy] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Well, for lunch today, I had a Burrito Supreme,
**hold the beef, hamburger ~~ COW!**
~~~~>I have to say it that way... If I say beef, they think I say beans and give me meat instead of beans.. [Frown] [Razz] [Eek!] at Taco Bell....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by afgreyparrot on October 31, 2006 12:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by loz:
[shocked] Was that good Cindy? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Pretty creative of you. [thumb]
Yep...and I crumbled up potato chips in it instead of crackers!

Man, I can't believe you guys don't like mushrooms! [shocked]
I make mushroom sandwiches...stick a bunch of sliced fresh mushrooms in a pita with some bean sprouts, with mayo and nutritional yeast mixed up for dressing...YUMMY!

-
 -
 -
by loz on October 31, 2006 07:42 PM
[thumb] I'm with you cindy, I'm a mushroom lover! I love 'em! LOVE 'em! A few years ago my friend made stuffed mushrooms for part of a dinner we do each year and I ate most of them myself. [Big Grin] One thing I don't like or eat are olives of any kind.
by SpringFever on November 07, 2006 11:35 AM
I love them too... I just canned them on purpose [nutz] [lala] Now I will know how freah my mushrooms are [thumb]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Deborah L. on November 07, 2006 12:18 PM
Weezie, I hear ya.... I always fry my mushrooms 'til they're crisp, then add them to whatever I'm making. I add onion powder, snipped parsley, pepper, salt, and saute in butter or olive oil. YUM !
I can't stand the chewy, rubbery ones-like biting into a frog !

-
 -
by weezie13 on November 07, 2006 12:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
Weezie, I hear ya.... I can't stand the chewy, rubbery ones-like biting into a frog !
Yep, I have to say it's more of a texture thing
than taste for me with them...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Deborah L. on November 07, 2006 01:26 PM
Totally ! Ewwwwwwwww !

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on November 11, 2006 01:20 AM
I just had the "World's Best Tuna Patties" for lunch.

I'll post the recipe in the Tuna Patty topic in a little whie.
They were awesome! [grin]

-
 -
 -
by Shirley4 on January 13, 2007 11:54 PM
Deborah, you said..

{like biting into a frog !} !!!!!

How do you know that??? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
Some hearts, like evening primroses, open more beautifully in the shadows of life.
 -  - Shirley's Secret Room
by Deborah L. on February 26, 2007 05:51 AM
Well, I was really mad at this frog and... [Big Grin] [Wink]

-
 -
by loz on February 27, 2007 04:12 PM
Tuna sandwich and chips for me today! [thumb]
by afgreyparrot on February 27, 2007 05:02 PM
I just had a tuna taco. [thumb]

-
 -
 -
by penny in ontario on February 27, 2007 05:37 PM
Turkey sandwich and yogurt for me [thumb]

-
 -

-
by weezie13 on February 27, 2007 06:54 PM
I just had a cheese sub!!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by loz on February 27, 2007 08:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by afgreyparrot:
I just had a tuna taco. [thumb]
I don't think I've ever heard or thought of a tuna taco before! [Big Grin] [thumb]
by ms.tmac on March 14, 2007 06:42 AM
How about buying flat wrap breads @ your're local grocery store and making your own flat wraps for lunch. Buy chicken strips with real white meat in them. Cook the chicken strips in the oven @ about 375 degree's, while these are cooking for approximately 15 min. Grate up some Havarti cheese or whatever cheese you prefer, place this in a bowl off to the side. Then cut up some garden veggie's if avail. according to the season. Like green tailed onions, and green peppers. I like to cut mine in julienne style. Place this in a different bowl off to the side. Then shred up some lettuce and if you prefer dice up some fresh tomato. again place this aside in seperate bowls. Take a flat wrap out of the package, or two, place onto your plate. Take cooked chicken strips out of the oven and place them hot onto the flat wrap bread then take all your condiment's from each bowl and add them onto the top of your chicken strips. I like to add the cheese first because its melts to the hot chicken strips. Then I use Peppercorn Ranch salad dressing as an additive. Fold your flat wrap by folding the bottom first then the two sides in. To hold it in place wrap a napkin around it or stick a toothpick in it. Prevents the flat wrap from unfolding. I personally like the napkin idea because when you take the napkin off to eat the chicken flat wrap you can use the napkin to wipe your mouth as you're going.Whatever leftovers you have of the condiments in the bowls place saran wrap over them and place in the fridge for another healthly meal later on in the week.
by weezie13 on March 14, 2007 01:37 PM
Ms.Tmac,
That sounds yummy..

Sounds semi~similar to a quesadilla..
Warm a round soft taco shell on the grill,
melt cheese, *I add a bit of taco seasoning to the cheese, cause I don't eat meat on mine and that's how I get the taco flavoring*

Then you can grill strips' of chicken (or chop up hamburger like a taco or do strips' of steak)

When cheese is melted, and "meat of choice" is done, place on cheese, and sprinkle with Jalapeno's, salsa and or chopped fresh tomatoes, sour cream, *and if you like lettuce*..

Now I'm gonna have to have one..
My mouth is waterin'....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ms.tmac on March 14, 2007 09:20 PM
Your's sounds good too. Today I had scambled egg's with cheese & green tailed onions mixed together. Basically I had brunch. By the way in this part of Canada we say; Breakfast, Lunch , and Supper. I'm Canadian Eh! Oh yeah, and my daughter say's snacks in between, and before bedtime.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: