The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cleaning water fountain safely

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 3 2
by maryw on May 23, 2006 05:45 AM
I love my water fountain but the algae is hard to get rid of. Does anybody know of any products that can be use that is safe with animals & birds? Any cleaning tips would be great.

Thanks
by Longy on May 23, 2006 08:20 AM
Barley straw will prevent algae from growing. It takes a month or so of warm weather to start working. It won't kill existing algae.

Shade will prevent algae as it keeps the water temps down. You can use plants like water lily to achieve this. I guess you can't have plants in your fountain, but what about if the water cycled thru a pond or something to 'clean' and cool it. Might take a bit of planning but it would be a possible long term solution.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Wrennie on May 23, 2006 11:50 PM
Therte are enzyme cleaners. Safe for birds & the environment from a company called care free enzymes. A good wild bird shop or maybe garden center should have it or a comparable brand.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by maryw on May 24, 2006 08:26 AM
Thanks Wrennie & Longy for your ideas. There is a wildbird shop just a few blocks away. Going to go there today.
by Squirrel on May 24, 2006 10:34 AM
I got a new fountain for Mother`s Day. It`s solar powered. Were having trouble with the pump. E-mailed the company hoping they can just replace the pump instead of returning the whole fountain! Our small patio is just about done. We had 3 brick pavers that needed cut. Had no idea how to do it.:-( My friend that lives close is having a big patio put in by pros, so I hauled out pavers up to her house in my wagon and the guy cut them lickity split. Wasn`t that nice of him! :-))) Well, I better get back out there and help if I can. Talk to you later, Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: