The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Very hot sun troubles

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Vermiculture| Next thread: very sick aloe »
Back to Thread index
by Olvoyl on May 09, 2006 06:23 AM
Help?? My home and business is on the same piece of property in Jacksonville, Florida, a zone 8. The building for my business is a large, green metal building and is visible with 2 airconditioning units. After the first 2 feet from the building the area recieves strong late morning and afternoon sun until 5 - 7pm depending on the time of year. I wanted to plant hydrangea but the sun is too much. Do you have a suggestion as to what I can plant that would have a similar impact? I posted this in the wrong area earlier, I'm still new to how forums work.
by Wrennie on May 09, 2006 09:52 AM
Rose of Sharon, Poinsiettia, Spirea..

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Olvoyl on May 09, 2006 10:40 AM
Thank you - I'm really looking forward to learning more about gardening - I've finally got some time and a backyard to work with. I just don't have any knowledge.
by neko nomad on May 14, 2006 02:19 PM
 -

There's always oleander. [Wink]

(click on photo for details)
by Sir Ts Princess on May 16, 2006 04:25 PM
I posted a reply to this earlier on another part of the forum, but why not try: Azalea, Gardenia, and I forgot the rest of the one's I mentioned earlier... [Roll Eyes] Guess you're going to have to find the other post [angel] Best of wishes from a fellow Floridian.

-
by patches1414 on May 16, 2006 10:34 PM
Hi Olvoyl! [wavey]

Since you mentioned hydrangea, I'm assuming you are looking more for shrubs or bushes, rather than just flowers. Am I correct? [dunno]

I was thinking maybe some Hibiscus, Butterfly bushes or Shrub Roses. I have "Nearly Wild Rose" and they are awesome! Many businesses in our area use them in their landscaping and they are beautiful! [thumb] All of the above would do very well in the sun. Gardenias, however, do not fair very well if they are placed in direct, hot sunlight. [Frown]

Of course, there are a variety of flowers which will do beautifully in the sun. [flower]

I hope this helps!

Gardenia as a potted plant indoors, keep it out of direct, hot sun, and allow it to only get bright light. ...

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Sir Ts Princess on May 17, 2006 03:39 AM
Hmm, my Gardenia is VERY old, it used to live in the front yard of my inlaws house in the sun. Now, it resides at the end of my house (too bad the house is broke...) and it still recieves quite a bit of sun, and I too am in Florida. I'm in the Pensacola/Destin area of the state.

-
by patches1414 on May 17, 2006 04:29 AM
When I had mine I was told to put where it gets morning sun and afternoon shade. I was also told that it did not like the direct, hot afternoon sun. I did what I was told and mine did great, so I don't know! [dunno]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Sir Ts Princess on May 17, 2006 04:55 PM
[dunno] Maybe I just have an odd Gardenia. LOL. Anyways...live, learn and garden is my philosophy. [Smile]

-
by Longy on May 18, 2006 05:00 PM
The reflected heat from the sides of the building on the western side will probably be too much for a lot of plants. Not ideal for a gardenia, or an azalea. Though they will grow in the sun, they like cool roots and use a bit of water. The side of the shed is probably going to affect that, esp if it's a metal shed.
You'll need something that can handle the reflected heat of mid summer and a relatively high soil temperature if it's going to thrive.
Look for some Plants for 'Hotspots' at your local nursery.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Vermiculture| Next thread: very sick aloe »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: