The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help I am about to kill myself on a slippery porch

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Karrie on April 29, 2006 02:16 AM
I have a beautiful new front porch, something I have always wanted so I could hang beautiful baskets of wave petunias on. Well the porch is here the petunias are hung one problem. Its slippery as ice when wet. I have this cute lil porch covered with containers of flowers and when I water I fall when I take the dog (a st bernard) out in the rain I fall........any suggestions on how to fix it so I wont fall. My husbands grand idea was to cover it with outdoor carpet........I hate that. I need some good and affordable [dunno] suggestions.........help me guys!

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by SpringFever on April 29, 2006 02:41 AM
Mix some sand and outdoor paint .. it is a quick easy fix!any color you want too!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Karrie on April 29, 2006 03:12 AM
will it mix on with like thompsons water seal? I would prefere to keep it natural, I dont want to worry about repainting on a regular basis? Thanks that sounds like a great idea. Do you just use any regular sand at all? We have some colored play sand at the wal mart here. I could get the green and mix it in it would probably be cute on teh porch since the house is white with green trim. Do you know the mixture recomendations.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by SpringFever on April 29, 2006 03:54 AM
Enough to make it gritty ... I imagine you could use a clear paint but if you missed a spot it my worsen the problem I would use the green myself.. you could just paint the floor and leave the rest natural. yes any sand will work.

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Longy on April 30, 2006 11:40 AM
MAke sure the sand is perfectly clean. You can ask at the place where they sell paint. There are paints available and the grit comes with the paint. Not sure if they have it in stains and laquers etc though.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Karrie on May 01, 2006 05:34 AM
I was at my favorite place in the world lastnight...........lowes. They have the sand that is for the paint but you have to add it to paint like gray or concrete colored. I just worry about it pealing up? I hate that and I dont want to have to scrap and stuff in the future.....not sure what to do at this point. Maybe have it epoxied or have the stone finish put on it eithor way more of an expense then I wanted to contribute at this point in time. Makeing 2 house payments is makeing me a nervous wreck!

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Back Mountain NEPA on May 11, 2006 08:09 AM
Here's one spray-on product, and Krylon also makes one.

Tread Tex Skid Resistant Coat
15-0011

Tread Tex Clear Skid Resistant Texture Coating is a clear spray coating that can be applied to interior or exterior surfaces for slip resistant safety.
This non-yellowing coating with UV protective additives, producesa tough and long wearing skid-resistant surface perfect for marine, industrial, commercial and household environments. Tread Tex can be used in hundreds of locations including stairways, floors, ladders, ramps, boat steps, walkways, playground equipment, running boards, skateboards, hand rails, porches, decks, landing and more.
One can covers about 20 sq. ft.
by Gupleton on May 14, 2006 02:03 PM
Water in bare feet?
by Karrie on May 16, 2006 01:21 PM
Yeah the bare feet help but Its still slippery. I have just been takeing the plants down and watering in the yard. I have this monster that I have to take out frequently though and put on a lead.....well if its been even slightly misting out watch out buddy the slippery porch and her massive puppy weight knock me down. (monster = 70+ lb 6 month old St. Bernard. 70 lbs of puppy can be hard to control even for a dosile lil lady like her.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Jiffymouse on May 16, 2006 03:32 PM
we always used sand in the paint on the boats when i was growing up.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: