The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

wacky cake

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Voo doo lily success| Next thread: Wal-Mart Rescues »
Back to Thread index
by angelblossom on August 13, 2006 05:29 AM
Wacky cake was created during the wartime shortages in the 1940's this is very simple and uses NO Eggs.. Yet is moist and yummy!

Preheat oven @350, adjust oven rack to middle position, and coat an 8"sq. baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Ingredients....

1&1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup natural cocoa powder
3/4 tspn baking soda
1/2 salt
5 TBLEspns Vegetable oil
1 TBLEspn distilled white vinegar
1 tspn vanilla extract
1 cup water
confectioners' sugar for dusting
Whisk flour,sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt together in the baking pan.
with a spoon make 1 Large and 2 small craters in dry ingredients.
Pour oil into the large crater.
Pour vineger into one of the small crater, and vanilla into the other.
Pour water into the pan and mix until just a few streaks of flour remain,, and immediately put pan into oven..
Bake untill tooth pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, approx 30 minutes, cool in pan then dust with confectioners sugar,,, serve with vanilla ice cream or dallop of whip cream,,

Easy , fast and very little clean up!!

ENJOY!!

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by patches1414 on August 13, 2006 05:12 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! [kissies]

I'm so glad you posted this! [Smile] It's the FIRST cake that I ever made, and I was so proud of myself because I was only about 10 or 11 at the time. I still remember making the indentations and then filling them with the ingredients and I thought that was so neat! [Smile] Since I haven't seen the recipe for years, I'm thrilled to finally have it again! [thumb] The cake was always so moist you never needed to ice it, and it was best when it was still warm! [Wink] Now I can teach my grandkids how to make it!

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by angelblossom on August 14, 2006 03:58 AM
Patti this is the perfect cake for a child to make isn't it!!! I use baking splenda instead of sugar and it's just as good!! [thumb]

-
 -
by loz on August 14, 2006 05:37 AM
Wow neat, I didn't know you could bake a cake without eggs! [shocked] [thumb]

I might try this with my niece one day soon! [muggs]
by patches1414 on August 14, 2006 06:07 PM
Oh Angel, I just couldn't wait so made it this afternoon! [Roll Eyes] I ate almost half of it while it was still warm and drank a big cold glass of milk with it! [Love] Wow, it tasted just as good as I remember! What a treat! [thumb] I felt like a kid again! [Smile] Thanks again for the recipe and the memories! [kissies]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by penny in ontario on August 15, 2006 01:23 AM
[clappy] [clappy] [thumb] thanks

-
 -

-
by weezie13 on August 15, 2006 01:55 AM
May I ask what the cake tastes like?
I see the cocoa in it....
does it come out with a brownish hue
or yellow???
Very curious..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by patches1414 on August 15, 2006 04:28 AM
Weezie, it comes out dark brown almost like Devil's Food cake and it tastes somewhat similar to it! [Love] It's very moist and maybe just a little heavier than regular cake. Try it, you'll love it! [Love] [Love]

-
 -
by angelblossom on August 15, 2006 02:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by patches1414:
Oh Angel, I just couldn't wait so made it this afternoon! [Roll Eyes] I ate almost half of it while it was still warm and drank a big cold glass of milk with it! [Love] Wow, it tasted just as good as I remember! What a treat! [thumb] I felt like a kid again! [Smile] Thanks again for the recipe and the memories! [kissies]
Patti,,, you are soooooo welcome!!
[Big Grin] I made mine on Sunday!!! I had to slap Dwights Hand TWICE!! and that was after he already ate two pieces,, I made mine with splenda so he thought it was okay to have 2 or more pieces in one afternoon! Well He IS a diabetic) ! [lala] [Big Grin]

Weezie... it IS heavier than a regular cake I would say because there are no eggs But it truely is moist!! alllllmost like a lite fluffy brownie!

-
 -
by patches1414 on August 15, 2006 04:21 PM
quote:
it truely is moist!! alllllmost like a lite fluffy brownie!

Yes, Angel, that's it! [thumb] That's exactly what it reminds me of, a brownie! [Love] [Love] [Love]

-
 -
by musicmom on August 15, 2006 10:58 PM
Oh, I remember this cake too, from when I was little!!! It was the first cake I ever made. I remember getting some magazine (can't remember which one) and it came with a recipe for kids every month. I mostly remember dusting it with the confectioners sugar. I have all the ingredients in my cupboard. I think I'll have my daughter bake it today. I'll let you know how it turned out [Wink]

Deb
"You can often change your circumstances by changing your attitude" - Eleanor Roosevelt

"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got" - Sheryl Crow
by angelblossom on August 16, 2006 12:59 PM
[clappy] cool Deb! amazing how reciepes can stir up memories!! BY the way Dwight took the rest to work, no doubt so I couldn't scold him for over eating sweets! [lala] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Be sure to let us know how your daughter liked it!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Voo doo lily success| Next thread: Wal-Mart Rescues »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: