The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How acidic do Larch needles make the soil?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by thistledown on April 08, 2006 05:29 AM
I've heard that pine needles make the ground very acidic. We just bought a place with a Western Larch dominating the yard.

Are their needles less acidic because they're shed every year?

[Smile]
AT

Work like you don't need the money.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Love like you've never been hurt.
 -
by Longy on April 10, 2006 03:07 AM
Not sure if they'd be less acidic than other conifers but if you want to know your soil Ph, a test kit is inexpensive and easy to use. Takes out the guesswork.

-
The secret is the soil.
by thistledown on April 10, 2006 10:36 AM
That's probably a good idea. My sweetie and I have been debating on whether or not a test kit was truly necessary, but I'd like to know a comparison between soil where the larch tree sheds and soil on the other side of the garden.

Thanks!

[Smile]
AT

-
by SpringFever on April 10, 2006 08:55 PM
I am not sure... I have 2 blue spruce trees I rake the needles every year and planted flowers under and them last year, they seem to be comming back.. I should get a test!!! what do you use for acid? is it lyme?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Longy on April 12, 2006 03:07 AM
what do you use for acid? is it lyme?
++++++++++++
If your soil is sour, or acid, it means it has a Ph of less than 7 (neutral) on a scale of 1 to 14. Agricultural lime or dolomite lime is used to correct acidity in soils. It takes a while to have an effect and should not be applied extremely heavily over a short period. A little bit often is better. About a handful to the square yard will raise the Ph about 1/2 a point over a number of months.
If your Ph is over 7 it is known as alkaline or sweet soil. Most plants prefer a slightly acid soil. So a Ph of say 6.5 would be great for most garden situations including annual flowers perennials and vegies. Some plants do not fit into this generalisation.
Examples are azaleas which prefer more acid soils and legumes such as sweetpeas which like a more alkaline soil.
A Ph test kit is an interesting and useful tool which can save a lot of heartache thru failure. $10 well spent.

-
The secret is the soil.
by thistledown on April 19, 2006 03:15 PM
Yes. I think I'm buying the tester.
I'm too new to gardening to try things like altering the Ph balance and stuff.
I think it would be better for me to test and KNOW for sure what I have and simply choose plants that like the soil I have (for now anyway).
I find dead plants too demoralizing!

[Smile]
AT

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: