The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Transplanting Maple Trees

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: transplanting iris| Next thread: Transplanting mature roses »
Back to Thread index
by thecritic on July 09, 2005 03:21 AM
I have had landscapers working in my yard for the last 3 weeks and part of the job included moving roughly 15 maple trees. The trees are 2-3 inches in diameter, but they are 12-18ft tall.

I live in MN, and it is summer time here, so I think that it may have been the wrong time to move them. What I am wondering is how to tell if they are going to survive. Most of them have curled up leaves, and I would guess that they will turn brown and fall within the next 2 weeks. I have been watering the trees every evening.

Thanks.
by mike57 on July 09, 2005 07:26 AM
HI thecritic I think your right about moveing them this time of the year.its best to move them when there dormant in the late fall or early winter.but since you have moved them keep them soked realy deep watering. make a water well around each tree abought 3 feet around just mound dirt up in a circle so it will hold lot of water and fill them up a couple of times to let the water soke in deep. do this a couple of times a week for abought a mounth or so.they should hopefuly put on new growth. i have done this myself.they might drop off all the leafs but dont give up on them.new groth should start growing soon as the roots settel and start searching for water.hope this helps and good luck with your trees. your friend in gardening.mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by thecritic on July 10, 2005 01:55 PM
Thanks mike57. We have been watering once a day pretty heavily, and in about 2 weeks the irrigation system should be complete, so they will get water and fertilizer daily. They are looking pretty tough at the moment, but I will keep up the watering ....

M.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: transplanting iris| Next thread: Transplanting mature roses »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: