The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

planting bulbs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: planting bulbs| Next thread: Planting by the Moon »
Back to Thread index
by mrscmoran on March 18, 2006 11:13 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this - sorry if it's not - I'm new!! Anyway, I live in Northern NJ and I was not able to plant my fall bulbs - should I plant them now anyway, or what should I do with them. I'm new at gardening and I'm not off to a good start!

Thanking you in advance for any suggestions
by patches1414 on March 19, 2006 01:07 AM
Are they still viable? I just found some I forgot to plant last fall and they were starting to sprout so I planted them. I've done this before and they always come up [thumb] and long as they haven't dried out.

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Patty S on March 19, 2006 01:51 AM
Like Patches, I just found some bulbs in my garden shed... one of the many things I didn't get around to, last fall! (I don't even remember what thy are!) This isn't the first year I've done this, & some came up & some didn't! [dunno] This IS, however, the first year that I'm being serious about gardening, so you might say I'm learning along with you, mrscmoran!

Fall is the ideal time to plant them, but I see bulbs being sold in stores now (which probably didn't sell last fall), so I say go ahead & plant them! If they didn't get too dried out, they should come up, & planting them is the only way to find out. It's hard to tell how much they can endure over the winter, but what have you got to lose? If they come up, cool... if they don't, you'll have a spot to put Annuals in (which you may want to do anyway, so you'll have color there, once these blossoms are gone).

Welcome to the Forum, by the way! You certainly came to the right place with your question. You'll find that the people here are eager & willing to help you out with any & all gardening questions (as well as with pets, recipies, household hints... & they'll even chit-chat with you, if you'd like to swing by The Banter Hall & jump into a topic you see there, or plop down in a seat at the latest Coffee House!) I guarantee, you won't find a warmer, friendlier bunch, anywhere on the Web! [thumb]

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 20, 2006 11:58 PM
Yes spring is the second best time to plant bulbs. They may not bloosom the first year if they get to late of a start but they will the second year from what I've understood. Good luck with your bulbs.

-
 -
by mrsmessy on March 21, 2006 03:02 AM
I do that all the time and often they do end up coming up the next year. If not they break down into dirt food anyway so nothing's lost but time.

-
Bev
by MICKEY55 on March 30, 2006 02:00 AM
Actually I was wondering if that holds true for the transplanting of bulbs that have already started to sprout. We insatlled a fence and smoe have to be moved.
by peppereater on March 31, 2006 05:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by MICKEY55:
Actually I was wondering if that holds true for the transplanting of bulbs that have already started to sprout. We insatlled a fence and smoe have to be moved.
It's fine as long as you get all the roots you can...they may have some pretty big clumps of root on them! Don't try to separate the clumps right now, it might shock them a little. But if they don't bloom as well this year, they'll be well establlished and do just fine next year.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: planting bulbs| Next thread: Planting by the Moon »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: