The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need suggestions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Braca on March 07, 2006 07:51 AM
I have an area that I am not quite sure what to do with. It's a strip of grass that is about 2-3 feet wide and about 40 feet or so long between my driveway and my neighbors fence. The fence is about six feet tall and the driveway has a carport so it gets a fair amount of shade but gets a few hours of sun each day. Not a big deal except that I live in zone 4 and this is the only place I can throw snow that drifts under the carport. It can be several feet deep and due to the shade can stick around for while. I would like to tear out the grass and put in something more attractive and easier to take care of that won't look barren in the winter. I was thinking maybe something that dies back every year but that leaves it pretty barren in the winter. I was also hoping to use something for mulch other than the standard bark. I'm kind of a newbie gardener so any ideas would be appreciated.
by cinta on March 07, 2006 11:55 AM
Braca, from your description that sounds like you would not see the area much so.......

I would go with decorative rocks (not gravel), medium landscape rocks and use pots for plants. There are some beautiful foam pots that look like stone urns. In between the pots I would use some hardscape. Some people like angels, animal sculptures any thing of interest. Maybe put in a few solar lights directed at your focal point sculptures.

If you want evergreen you could put tomato plant forms upside down, they are cone shaped, and plant some ivy in the pots train it to grow over the cones an look like trees. Plant annual flowers in some of the pots for color in the summer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by slredmond on March 07, 2006 10:12 PM
Cinta - what's that big, beautiful hosta picture "chri 038?" Is it Elegans? What a beauty!

Sandy

Sandy R.
by tkhooper on March 07, 2006 10:23 PM
I'm leaning towards the miniature evergreens but lets see what else is out there.

Corylus (Harry Lauder's Walking Stick) avellana 'Contorta'; I love this shrub. I'm start with a really small one and watch it grow. You would have to prune it back once it reached it's full height but it is so interesting looking without it's leaves that for winter gardens I think it is a must.

Cotoneaster adpressus 'Tom Thumb' (Cotoneaster)
This is a nice filler plant. Great looking all year long with an interesting branching pattern that works for the winter garden.

Grass - Calamagrostis acutiflora 'Karl Forester' (Feather Reed Grass); This is a nice grass for your zone that will leave you with nice seed heads for winter interest.

Juniperus sabina 'Buffalo' (Juniper); here is an everygreen ground cover that you might consider.

Myrica pennsylvanica (Sweet Gale); this may retain it's leaves depending on the winter.

Sedum spectabile 'Autumn Joy' (Stonecrop)

Acer palmatum 'Beni Schichihenge'
Maple, Japanese; these are pricy but I wouldn't be without one if I could afford one.

Ferns are a great choice for shady locations as long as you have adequate water.

Well these are a couple of options that I hope will give you an idea of what you could put there. If you take the time to plan the space carefully I've found that you can get a garden that is attractive all four seasons. Even with limited space. That's what I'm working on with mine. I have 40 feet by 14 feet and I'm working on having it chock full of stuff.

-
 -
by cinta on March 08, 2006 01:35 AM
Thank you Sandy, yes it is Elgans it is much bigger now that pic was three years ago. I need to take another pic this year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: