The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

sick iris

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: sick honeysuckle| Next thread: Sick Jade »
Back to Thread index
by butterflylover_52 on July 04, 2005 11:42 AM
We've had Iris for over a decade. But for the past few years, they haven't flowered. The green foliage looks healthy, like it always did. But no flowers came up. Could something be eating it? What can I do?
Please help me save my mother's Iris
[kitty]
by mike57 on July 04, 2005 12:24 PM
HI [wayey] butterflylover_52 you might need to divide them. i do mine every three years.once a iris blooms the same plant will never bloom again.but the new growth that they put on will.if you have never divided them they might be over crowded so no new root or rhizome system has room to develope.i would dig them up at least some of them so new roots can have room to grow and start new beds with ones you dig up so they can grow new rhizomes root systems on all of them. but don't plant them to deep just enough soil to cover the roots or rhizomes.here a link that tell you a lot about them.
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/iris.html
hope this helps and good luck with your plants.your friend in gardening.mike57
[wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by butterflylover_52 on July 05, 2005 06:44 AM
Thanks a lot mike57. I'll try it. Hopefully that's the answer. I can't remember my mother ever dividing them. We were afraid it was grubs, and that we'd have to use pesticide, because we hate using anything poisonous.

Thanks a bunch!!!
[flower] [wayey] [kitty]

The Butterfly Lover
by mike57 on July 05, 2005 07:10 AM
HI again if your foilage on them looks healty thats more than likeliy what it is the roots dont have have room to grow.and i agree with i do not like to use pesticides unless nessary. and you are very welcome for any help that i can give you.good luck on your iris.your friend in gardening.mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sick honeysuckle| Next thread: Sick Jade »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: