The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Morning Glories (is it too late?)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Sami on August 08, 2004 06:19 PM
I ordered some morning glory seeds. I've been reading up on them, but everything I read has said to plant them just before or around the first frost. It's August & I'm afraid to plant them. I also see that they are a vine (duh! I don't know anything [Embarrassed] ). Is it too late for me to plant them, this year? If I plant them, now, will they reseed next year?

I don't have any place on my fence cleared to let them climb, so I really don't know where I'm going to put them, but I'm trying to figure that one out, too.

One more question...everywhere I read says to soak them for 24 hours before planting or to plant them in pots but they don't transfer good. Can y'all tell a dummy anything else?

-
Talentless but connected.
by Lily789 on August 09, 2004 04:53 AM
Hi,
I planted my morning glories around March this year and transplanted them outside after the danger of a last sring frost has passed. I never knew you can sow them at first frost, because my seed packet said to sow them in spring after the ground warms.

If I were you, I would wait until next spring to plant them. Unless you have very mild, frost-free winter in your area, your August-sown morning glories will have a very limited time to grow before frost comes and kills them. MG's are annuals, so they can't survive winters (@least not here).

You should soak them for 24 hours, yes. Then either plant directly outside or in pots. I planted mine in little pots and then transplanted...it worked...but that was just my experience. MG's are not too picky about soil, just some potting soil or topsoil would work. Put them in full sun! They love the sun! Don't water them too much either, they like fairly dry soil.

I have mine growing on a fence and on this metal trellis thing (whatever you call it). You can use some wooden sticks or bamboo poles, stick it in the ground, and let them climb. They climb on everything...including trees!

MG's are not picky plants. They really quite tough and easy to care for. Any more questions, feel free to ask! [Wink]

Good luck!

~Lily
by Sami on August 09, 2004 06:38 AM
I think the only other question I have is (I know it's stupid)...the seeds I received came to me in a plastic baggie with a sticky note on it and has petals & such in it (obviously an individual sent them to me, they were free, just had to pay postage). Will they keep ok? And, I'm not really sure what part of it is the seeds [dunno] I've never done this before & feel like an idiot asking such elementary questions.

-
by njoynit on August 09, 2004 03:24 PM
Its not going to stay hot enough long enough to get them rolling for bloom in 3-4 weeks we will cool down,though we will be summer still,we just won't roast.And I believe some of ours do return by root if soil were protected,cause that one in hanging basket was NOT sown this year.It was my air root expieriment.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by hisgal2 on August 10, 2004 09:16 PM
Sami,
I am planning on planting morning glories next year. I don't really have a place for them to climb either...but here is an idea I came up with the other day while I was in the garage. I have an old wooden door...its one of those doors that has 12 or 15 window panes in it..most of the time you see them painted white. Anyways, I'm going to pop the windows out and use that as a type of lattice for the morning glories to grow up. I got the door at an auction for a dollar. Just something you might wanna think about. [Smile]

-
 -

-
by Sami on August 10, 2004 09:38 PM
Jen, that's a really cool idea! How would you bury it to make sure that the wind didn't blow it down? I'm a worry-wart when it comes to things & probably over-think things too much [Roll Eyes] I'm sure I could find something like that & incorporate it in my yard. I have soooooo many plans for my front yard that I'll probably be 80 before I can get it done. [Big Grin]

-
by hisgal2 on August 10, 2004 09:49 PM
I think you could nail 3 or 4 posts to the bottom of it and then pound them into the ground....or put them in the ground first with 3 inches or so sticking up and then nailing or screwing the door onto it. I am hoping to just lean it against the house or the garage somewhere. The only place where I really get good sunlight is in the back yard....I wish I could put it in the front!....and ideas for that on my hill??

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: