The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

hneysuckle in winter

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Hiya All! I need some help please.| Next thread: Hodgepodge »
Back to Thread index
by Ceilteach on July 01, 2005 11:52 AM
I have a beautiful healthy honeysuckle plant on my deck, obviously in a container. I live in the Northeast so winter will be upon me before I know it. I would love to enjoy this plant next summer season also...any suggestions/advice as to what to do to it for the cold?...Can I prune it back and cover it?...bring it inside?
Thanks for any and all advice =)

"You come to nature with all her theories, and she knocks them all flat."
Pierre Auguste Renoir
by weezie13 on July 01, 2005 11:57 AM
quote:
I live in the Northeast so winter will be upon me before I know it.
[shocked]
[scaredy] Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, [Frown] don't say that, I'm still [lala]
planting my vegetable garden for pete's sake!!! [Wink] [Big Grin]

Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!
We're very glad you found us...

I'm not too sure on your plant, as I've
not grown one of those or brought it in doors...
But I'm sure someone will come thru and help you
with some answers...

Don't forget to take a peak around..
There's lot's to do here, especially WHEN WINTER COMES, WHICH WON'T BE FOR A VERYYYYYY LONG TIME FROM NOW!!!! [Wink] [Big Grin] There's lot's to do, every season that's apon us... so, jump right on in...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by MaryReboakly on July 01, 2005 07:41 PM
Hi Ceil! I believe you're zone 6 too (?) and my SIL has some honeysuckle growing around a tree - [shocked] - She never takes it indoors, just lets it go until it gets too outta control in the summer - it grew like 'gangbustas' this year - and then she cuts it back a bit (quite a bit!) to tame it a little. No problems leaving it out year round for her. I hope that's helped! Welcome to the forum - this is a great place to be [Wink]

-
 -
by RugbyHukr on July 01, 2005 09:24 PM
When plants are in the ground the roots are protected. Ground freezes, in your zone, to a max depth of about 6 inches. Most root systems are deeper than this & can survive over winter. Especially if there is 3 inches of mulch over top. Then, the ground freezes to a depth of 3 inches.

For container plants, alot of folks put them in the garage next to the house wall where they can get residual heat. If your garage stays pretty cold, you can insulate your containers by surrounding them with mulch. Get a small tub; put in your containers; completely surround them & cover the soil surface.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Ceilteach on July 04, 2005 07:49 AM
I'm right on the edge of zone 5-6...in Connecticut...
I dont have my own basement per say, just a storage unit that stays pretty cold during the winter months...
So...I'll trim it back and cover it in burlap and hope next summer it comes back to life.
Thanks for the advice..
=)
[Wink] [grin]

"You come to nature with all her theories, and she knocks them all flat."
Pierre Auguste Renoir

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hiya All! I need some help please.| Next thread: Hodgepodge »
Back to Thread index