The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sunflower Prob

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: sunflower mush| Next thread: Sunflower question »
Back to Thread index
by rozy221 on June 29, 2005 09:31 AM
Hi all! I'm having a problem with some of the sunflowers that I planted. I planted some dwarfs in the garden, and they are fine; I planted some mammoths in front of the garden, and they're doing OK. But the mammoths that I have planted along the fence are being eaten alive! Some of them don't have any more leaves left-just veins! I don't see anything on these plants (we're talking about 20 plants)-what could be causing this and what can I do to stop it? Thanks in advance!
by floweraddict on June 29, 2005 01:01 PM
Are the japanese beetles active there right now?
I had to sprinkle sevin dust on my plants the other day- they were eating everything in sight!

If plants in my garden were being eaten, but no bugs were ever present,my immediate suspicion would lean toward snails or slugs. They do their damage after dark. Cut worms also work after dark as well.
Ortho markets effective bait to kill slugs and snails, and sevin dust, 5%, kills over 60 insect pests.

Bob
 -
by mike57 on June 29, 2005 07:48 PM
HI ROZY it could be the japanese beetles there very active here there into evrything i have been useing sevin dust also.but the rabbits are eating my sun flowers in my garden.leaveing nothing but the stalks.if its slugs you can also set out sausers of beer for them it will kill them.your friend in gardening.mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by rozy221 on June 30, 2005 11:29 AM
Hmmmm....Beetles could be the problem. The ones that I have planted near the garden are starting to show some signs as well. What I'm not understanding is why the other plants nearby (pumpkins, tomatoes, peas, corn, beans, dwarf sunflowers) are not showing any damage-only the mammoth sunflowers. Are beetles selective? I'm starting to get scared here as I see the damage that's happening, plus I'm trying to go organic-what is sevin dust exactly? Thanks for the help!
by rozy221 on July 01, 2005 10:00 AM
OK-I went investigating today, and I found LOTS of ants on the damaged plants, and some ants on the good plants, which are now starting to get some holes in the leaves. Could the ants be doing this? Or are the ants there because of some other problem? All I can say is YUCK!
by mike57 on July 02, 2005 12:10 AM
HI ROZY sevin dust is probubly the safest chimical there is to use on pest it can be used on your pets and in your veggie garden to.you might have leaf cutter ants and yes they will eat the leafs off your plants heres a link about them.
http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/leafcutter.htm
but i think the sevin dust will take care of them.heres a link on sevin dust
http://www.epinions.com/content_54760279684
hope it helps.your friend in gardening.mike57

-
by rozy221 on July 02, 2005 04:45 AM
Wow Mike! Those ants could definately be it! The only thing that throws me is that I'm nowhere near Texas. But anything's possible. I'm off to the grocery store now, where, hopefully, they will have some sevin dust. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks for the help!
by mike57 on July 02, 2005 05:33 AM
HI rozy your very welcome.we have the leaf cutter ants here in alabama also i think they are pretty much all over the south. hope the sevin dust stops what ever is eating your leafs.i did some more reserch it could also be cutter bees.or the japanese beetles eather way the sevin dust should take care of it.good luck with it.your friend in gardening.mike57

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sunflower mush| Next thread: Sunflower question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: