The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Flowers for Fall.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Flowers dying at the bottom| Next thread: Flowers for shaded area »
Back to Thread index
by digdug on August 02, 2004 10:20 PM
Hiya -

As I mentioned in my intro message in the New Members area, my wife and I have recently discovered gardening ( last summer actually). We started with some flowers in hanging baskets on our front porch and moved on to Lavender and begonias in the front yard last year. So far so good! My wife recently planted several varieties of Coleus in the backyard under one of our trees. It seems to like it there and looks great. We've also got some Snapdragons in a strip next to the back lawn.
We are now wanting to discover some flowers that will do well in Northern California over the Fall. This weekend we purchased some Garden Mums, Asters and Marigolds. I was told these should do ok in my region. I believe we are zone 14 ( based on Sunset Magazine zones) not sure of USDA zone.
Any advice for Fall color & foliage would be great!!!! [flower]
by Cricket on August 03, 2004 03:01 AM
Some plants you might consider are heathers, winter pansies, and ornamental kale. What is the weather like in the fall and winter where you are (e.g. temperatures, rain/snowfall)?
by Bill on August 03, 2004 03:35 AM
Do you like Asters?

-
by digdug on August 07, 2004 07:27 PM
Thanks for the advice. Winters are usually mild here, with only a few nights that actually freeze. Rainfall can vary by year. Rainy season is late October through April.

Question about watering the following:

Garden Mums
Asters ( absolutely beauttiful)
Marigolds

My wife has planted several of these in pots on the patio. We've put them on our drip system, but I'd like some info on just how much water they should be getting. As of now I am doing 15 minutes every morning. Any advice would help.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Flowers dying at the bottom| Next thread: Flowers for shaded area »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: