The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Creamy Garlic Shrimp over Pasta

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by Triss on June 01, 2006 10:40 AM
Yep, this meal is why I married Dan!

1 lb 55-60 count shrimp
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 bundle fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 small red bell pepper, chopped
A handful of Sun Dried Tomatoes, chopped
1/2 package of bacon, fried, crumbled
1 package pine nuts
1 pint heavy whipping cream
Parmesean cheese, grated.

Shrimp usually comes in shell. Peel, devein, butterfly. (I recently discovered this can be done in one step – use sharp serrated knife, draw knife down middle of shrimp’s back, slicing through shell and halfway through shrimp’s back. Knife serration removes vein, shell and legs pull off completely.) Set aside.

Cook bacon and set aside, in the bacon oil, sautee the pine nuts, also set aside.

Sautee all vegetables in small amount of olive oil or the remaining bacon grease. When onions are transparent, stir in shrimp and add in bacon and pine nuts. Sautee until shrimp are uniformly pink. Add cream, stir gently until it begins to boil. Add in parmesean cheese until it blends with everything else. Serve immediately over pasta.

You can take out any of the things that do not sound good to you but when all the veggies are used, it is an array of colors that look as good as they taste.

Best with fresh pasta and garlic bread.

Enjoy!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by DustyDS on June 01, 2006 11:06 AM
Well I was sold until the cream... I cannot mix any seafood with a milk product, except butter..For some reason my tummy will rebel instantly..First time I had Lobster bisque I thought I was gonna die..Im gonna work on this one, and see if I can create an alternative to the cream..

Thanks ever so Triss!!!
[kissies]
by Triss on June 01, 2006 11:11 AM
Ya know Dusty, I bet it would be good just sauteed and add a bit of white wine to it after the veggies and before the shrimp so that the shrimp can cook in the wine and other things.

-
 -
by DustyDS on June 01, 2006 11:22 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Now yer talkin...Maybe wine and if you want it to be *saucy* add a tad of cornstarch to thicken it.. Hmmmmmmmmmm
by Triss on June 01, 2006 11:24 AM
That would do the trick! I will keep mine rich and creamy with a glass of sweet honey wine on the side. I have been waiting for a good reason to open the bottle my SIL gave me and this dinner is perfect!

-
 -
by Tonya on June 01, 2006 03:44 PM
You could try some sour cream instead of whipping cream, but I don't know if that will help your tummy. Sounds great, Triss...can't wait to try it!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Triss on June 01, 2006 04:47 PM
I dunno that sour cream would add to the flavor or not. I cannot imagine it with the dish at all. Maybe cuz I am spoiled on the richness of it.

-
 -
by joclyn on June 02, 2006 07:39 AM
wow! that sounds really, really delicious!!!! gonna have to try that one!!

and i don't think the sour cream would be a good alternative for dusty...not only would it do something TOTALLY different to the flavor of the dish, it's still a milk-type product and would, most probably, still cause the stomach upsets.

what a shame! [tears] you poor thing! i don't know what i'd do if i wasn't able to eat things like shrimp or lobster bisque or newberg!!
by Mrs.Rem05 on June 03, 2006 03:21 AM
This sounds really good! I think I might make it this weekend for my Husband
by Triss on June 03, 2006 04:17 AM
If you do, let me know if you like it!

-
 -
by tkhooper on June 16, 2006 11:13 AM
A nice way to come up with a cream sauce substitute is to cook navy beans down until it is nothing but a stock. then use it instead of the cream sauce. Do dairy there and the taste is yummy.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: