The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

vege stems turning purple

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by woodmass on September 17, 2006 07:30 AM
Hi everyone, My partner and i just bought a house and we are planting our garden here for the first time. Since putting in our vegtables we have found that the stems of the vege are turning purple, we have tried to search the problem on here but cant seem to find out what might be causing this to happen, we believe its the soil, what do you think?
thx
by Longy on September 17, 2006 05:54 PM
Vegies turning purple can be an indication of a phosphorous deficiency. Cabbages turning purple around the leaf fringes are a good example. Other indications are that the plants can be stunted or just lacking in vigour. Some will have a greyness to what should be green colouring. I'm not certain this is your problem though. As it's a new garden for you, it might be worthwhile getting some soil samples tested. Then you can be sure. A small outlay for some vry valuable knowledge. It may also be a Ph imbalance making Phos' unavailable to the plants or some other imbalance in your soil.

-
The secret is the soil.
by papito on October 07, 2006 12:53 AM
Which vegetable?

If it is tomato, the stems tends to have purple coloring.

Aside from tomato, and as LONGY stated above, purple coloring in vegetables is generally an indication of phosphorus deficiency. Young seedlings can be fed with fish emulsion or liquid seaweed. If the leaves are turning purple, use fertilizer high in phosphorus content.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by tkhooper on October 08, 2006 12:02 AM
Your not alone. My Cinnamon Basil has purple stems on the plant outside but regular stems on the inside plant and they were cuttings taken from the same parent plant. And yes the plants were stunted as well. Remember that amending the soil can take some time to work. And good luck with your new place.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: