The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

fishy fish

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
by beachlover on March 24, 2006 12:32 AM
hi everyone, my husband caught a bunch of redfish.
when he tried it he said it was to strong.
is there ant way to make it less fishy [dunno]
by the way i hate seafood yuck
thanks in advance
by melcon6 on March 24, 2006 01:08 AM
I think my Dad used to cover and smother the fish (Bluefish) with crushed Ritz crackers and wrap it in foil. The crackers removed a lot of the fishy oils in the fish and you could eat the stuffing if you liked or just push aside and eat the fish! By the way, I love seafood yum [grin]

I just got back from your area and while staying with a friend she was telling us how hard it's been to find someone to groom her very difficult cat. He needs to be sedated. Do you do that at the clinic you work at?

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by beachlover on March 24, 2006 02:19 AM
no but i know someone who can.i'll pm you.
by melcon6 on March 24, 2006 03:05 AM
Awesome!!! [thumb]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Annell on July 03, 2006 05:08 AM
I soak it in salt water then rinse. I soak my fish in salt water for at least 30- 1 hour then I rinse it and that seems to help but I also fry my fish in 1/2 white corn meal and 1/2 yellow corn meal combined with more salt. I slice it thin and fry in deep fat until crisp. I do not care for baked fish. I know it is more healthy but I just can't go the fish taste either. I have never tried soaking it and then baking. Might do that when I get brave. Give it a try.

Annell

Please Spay/Neuter your Pets.
by cookinmom on July 07, 2006 04:06 AM
Redfish can be pretty strong, especially if they're big. We used to cut it in small chunks and toss them in 1/2 flour, 1/2 cornmeal, and then deep fry. It was good, but still lots stronger than whitefish like tilapia.

Blackening is most definitely the best way to cook them (I think all that spice totally drowns out ANY fishy flavor), but it can be pretty messy. My uncle is a chef, and he says it's best to do it on a grill, because household stoves just don't get hot enough. Put a cast-iron skillet on the grill, put a small chunk of butter in it (it will smoke and burn) and real quick put in the fish. I think you put the blackening spices on the fish first, before you put it in the pan, but I'm not sure. You might be able to google that, and get more details.

We used to know a man who was a commercial fisherman and once in a while he'd catch a redfish and share with us. He passed away though, so no more redfish for us!

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by Zenith on July 08, 2006 01:11 PM
Maybe this calls for Beer Batter [Smile]

The temperature of the oil is important. If it is too cool, the batter will soak it up becoming excessively greasy. If it is too hot, the batter will brown before the fish is cooked. Serve fried fish with plenty of lemon to help counteract the richness.

1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
1 good pinch of salt
a generous amount of ground black pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1 cup beer
100 ml water (approx)
about 1 litre vegetable oil
fish fillets or seafood of your choice (preferably without small bones)
a little extra flour
wedges of lemon

Method:
Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the beer and water, and whisk together to make a smooth batter. You may need to add a little extra water to adjust the consistency.

Allow the batter to stand for 1 hour if possible (it will thicken a little).

Fill a saucepan, wok or deep fryer with about 1 litre vegetable oil to a depth of about 5 cm and heat to 160� C (or until a small piece of bread browns within 1 minute).

Dry fish with paper towel, to minimise spitting.

Coat fish lightly in flour and dip in batter. Drain excess onto rim of bowl before very carefully lowering into hot oil. Cook until golden brown, then remove from oil onto absorbent paper.

Serve with a nice green salad and lemon wedges.
by Jiffymouse on July 08, 2006 02:04 PM
i soak my fish is iced salt water. then drain VERY well. that will help considerably.
by ChristinaC on July 08, 2006 02:38 PM
Jiffy's right! [thumb] I also slice a couple lemon slices and let that soak in with it. Lemons are known to get rid of that "fishy" taste. Just got to be careful not to leave it soak for too long...the lemon will start to cook the fish.

-
 -
by beachlover on July 12, 2006 09:07 AM
thanks everyone for the replies. will try all.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: