The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I want your snails

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by eliza on August 16, 2006 04:12 PM
I am a high school science teacher and have been searching everywhere for live garden snails. I know they are a problem most places but we don't have them here. I have tried ordering them but science supply places no longer carry them and I have even tried buying them from french restaurants but I have been unsuccessful. My only hope is to ask any of you if you can pick them out of your garden and ship them to me. I of course will pay for them and also the shipping. I need them by next week, as that's when school starts! snails may be a pest but since they are hermaphrodites, students like learning about them and they are fun to observe. thank you!
by Longy on August 16, 2006 11:41 PM
My best suggestion is plant some lettuces. The snails will find you.
[Wink]

-
The secret is the soil.
by afgreyparrot on August 17, 2006 01:23 AM
I have plenty of pond snails, but no garden snails.

Now, if you want some slugs I can sure hook you up!

Welcome to the forum, eliza! [wavey]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by weezie13 on August 17, 2006 01:51 PM
Or get some dead and half dead dying stuff
from your garden..
Lay it down on top of some green grass and wet the area a bit..
Then put down some wet card board and keep it moist..
And a rock or two, here and there to hold the card board down and to have contact...

They will come, for sure!
And you won't get rid of them afterwards...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by eliza on August 28, 2006 12:44 PM
thanks for the tips, we do have lettuce growing and no sanils and neither do any of my friends who have gardens. I did get snails though, in Oregon! we were there for the weekend and i found them and packed them up in my luggage and brought them home. they were a HUGE hit the first day of school and maybe I may be able to use them for some other activities later in the year as well.
by kennyso on August 31, 2006 03:20 PM
you're so lucky...snails and slugs are a consant battle. I would like to ship you some (um...I mean ALL the) snails, but because it's over boarder it's not going to work, sorry!

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: