The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

tomato pests

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: TOMATO Part II| Next thread: Tomato plant flowers »
Back to Thread index
by peppereater on August 09, 2006 12:35 PM
Tonya posted these pics in a tipic in fruits and veggies, I took the liberty to post them here. Here's a catterpillar she found, kind of looks like a hornworm, but it's not green, and I don't see the horn...
 -

there's also damage to some leaves, and some tomatoes. I can't tell what's eating the leaves, but I wonder if the holes in the tomatoes are from fruitworms?

-

-

Any ideas?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Jimmy V on August 10, 2006 01:18 AM
Dave I have not seen any like that worm. The only one I have found so far this year I posted under Horned tomato worm about the trichegramma wasp. Also nothing I have noticed eating anything at least no holes I have found.

- Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says Keep it organic.
 - GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. Pray for our Troops! Jimmy's Photos
 - Jimmy's Blog
by penny in ontario on August 10, 2006 02:12 AM
Thats got to be so maddening!!!! I keep checking my tomatos for them little pests! [Mad]

-
 -

-
by Tonya on August 10, 2006 02:25 AM
It is driving me nuts!! [Mad] I could deal with the leaves, but they are eating my fruit...

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by penny in ontario on August 10, 2006 07:06 AM
Thats too bad Tonya...is there somthing that you could put on to deter them?

-
 -

-
by Tonya on August 10, 2006 08:20 AM
Trying to figure out exactly what is doing the eating and them will get something! Kinda a hurry up and wait situation... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by penny in ontario on August 10, 2006 08:22 AM
[Big Grin] Good luck with it...i feel for you!

-
 -

-
by Jimmy V on August 10, 2006 10:06 PM
Tonya I use Honest Garrett snuff when I get bus that leave holes. It is a powder mixws well with water through your hose end sprayer or just dust of an evening or early morning so ths snuff doesnt burn the plant. Has worked for me for aphids and grass hoppers.

- Jimmy's Blog
by Tonya on August 11, 2006 12:59 AM
[kissies] Thanks Jimmy! I'm assuming it is safe for animals because I know you love yours! I have to be careful because I also have a 6 year old and a 7 month old....they are not as bright as the dog sometimes (she is a year this month)... [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Longy on August 13, 2006 11:21 PM
I cover my tomatoes each year with a double bed mosquito net. Total pest exclusion. I have a fruit fly problem and it has totally done away with them and the need for sprays and powders. It also stops other insect pests and crows and other birds too. In the cooler months i use the same net over my brassicas. Cabbages etc. It keeps the caterpillars and stuff out as well. Cost me about 10 bucks and i've used it continuously for 3 years. Bargain!

-
The secret is the soil.
by Jimmy V on August 14, 2006 09:27 AM
Yes Tonya is safe I used it when the kids were little and also around the grand and great grands no problem of course I make sure they don't get into it also. Longy like your idea about the net will see if I can find one aroud here have one for birds .

- Jimmy's Blog
by woodmass on September 20, 2006 12:09 PM
I try to companion plant and what i use for my tomatoes is basil, it seems to keep away most if not all pests although i live in new zealand and might not have the variety of pests that your country does, wouldnt hurt planting some beside the tomatoes anyway.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: TOMATO Part II| Next thread: Tomato plant flowers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: