The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Carnations

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: carnations| Next thread: Carnations »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on October 19, 2006 09:48 PM
This is the information I have. Please correct, add, delete information to make it as accurate and complete as possible. I always need all the help I can get to counteract my black thumb.

Scientific Name of Plant: Dianthus
Common Name of Plant: Carnations
Indoor/Outdoor Plant: Outdoor
Days to Germination:
USDA Growing Zone:
Conditions for sprouting: sow 1/8 inch deep in light well-drained soil in a sunny location. Firm soil over seed and keep it moist until the plants are sprouted. Will not flower until the following year.
Mature Plant Care:
Lighting requirements: 4 to 5 hours of sun per day
Fertilizer requirements: 10-10-10 every 6 to 8 weeks
Watering requirements: Water Weekly
Soil requirements: Do not mulch. pH:6.75
Dead Heading: Yes for additional blooms no at end of season so they can reseed
Pinching flower spikes: no
Plant spacing: Grows in clumps
Pruning times and amounts:
Conditions for Blooming:
Plant Life Cycle: Biennial
Propogation: Division, seed, layering, softwood stem cutting
Height of Plant: 10 to 14 inches
Color of Leaves: greyish green
Color of Flowers: all colors except black

-
 -
by amy7467 on October 20, 2006 08:59 AM
Tammy,

I had a carnation given to me and I hope that it reseeds for next year. Do you know if they like full sun, part sun or shade? I put mine in part sun and it seemed happy enough. I didn't fertilize it. [Roll Eyes] Being a biennial should I expect that it won't bloom next year?

Amy
by tkhooper on October 21, 2006 06:29 AM
They like fun sun but may well do fine in part sun. If you planted them this year then next year they should bloom for you. They will reseed and build a clump for you if you don't do much mulching around them and keep the soil loose.

Ok I just reread your question and I got a bit confused. That happens to me quite a bit sorry. If you were given a blooming carnation plant this year then it is at the end of it's life span so it has to reseed or you will loose the plant. It takes carnations forever to form seeds. They are formed in the bottom part of the blossom where the stem widens below the petals. It takes over a month, or at least mine did. When the seeds are viable they are black.

-
 -
by Barb H. on October 30, 2006 06:35 AM
Thanks for the info, gang!

I bought some carnation plants this spring and am thrilled that they will come again next spring!

My sister told me that they would grow even larger next spring....I can't wait!

Barb

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: carnations| Next thread: Carnations »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: