The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

hibiscus cuttings

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Mocha260 on August 21, 2006 03:25 AM
Does anyone know if you can propagate hibiscus from cuttings?
by kennyso on August 21, 2006 03:45 AM
sure can!
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/57/15.html? though when I tried rooting in water, my cuttings rotted, but gonna try again!

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by Mocha260 on August 21, 2006 04:28 AM
Thanks, Kenny, you're the best!
by patches1414 on August 21, 2006 07:32 PM
Mocha, I haven't had any luck rooting the hardy Hibiscus in water, but I have been successful propagating my Hibiscus from cuttings by using the following method. I have never tried rooting a tropical Hibiscus. What type do you have?

I use a clean Exacto Knife to cut off approximately 10" of the new growth, about 1/2" below a set of leaves. I take off all the leaves at the bottom of the cutting, but I always leave a couple sets of leaves at the top. Then I stick the bottom part of the cutting in Clonex Rooting Compound (or you can use any rooting hormone) and put it some potting soil. I make sure at least two of the sets of leaves I cut off are covered by the soil. I keep the soil moist, but not soaked, and then make sure it doesn't get any direct sunlight until after I see some new leaves sprouting.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by tppc on September 05, 2006 04:33 AM
I just do propagate mines in water and is very easy.
Good look

-
Teresa
by patches1414 on September 05, 2006 01:29 PM
Teresa, did you propagate the Tropical Hibiscus or the Hardy Hibiscus in water? [dunno] Once I did try to root an orange Tropical Hibiscus and I was successful in getting it to root in water without it rotting, [clappy] but I've never had the same success trying to root my Hardy Hibiscus in water. [Frown] It seems they always rotted before they developed any roots! [Eek!]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: