The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hydrangea's gone wrong

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: hydrangea questions| Next thread: hydrangea tidbits & question »
Back to Thread index
by lillybaby on July 19, 2004 08:06 AM
Something has gone seriously wrong with my hydrangea bush. Last year it was healthy, but this year the blooms look as if they are about to flower, but will only get a ring of flowers around the edge of the bloom. All buds in the middle won't even bloom; they just stop at the bud, turn brown and dry up. Then the ones along the edge turn brown. I haven't noticed any pests and it wasn't colder than usual this year. This bush is about 6'x6' and probably 10 years old, so I don't know why it's doing this now. Can anyone help me? Please?!
by Arctostaphylos on July 19, 2004 11:03 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is insufficent water be sure the plant is getting enough water and that the soil has sufficent organic matter. From your description does not sound like a pest to me, be sure and check all the cultural conditions as a starting point. Good luck.
by weezie13 on July 19, 2004 11:07 PM
Lillybaby,
Did you see it bloom last year????

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by lillybaby on July 20, 2004 02:32 AM
It did bloom last year that's why I'm so puzzled. [dunno]
by Bestofour on July 20, 2004 03:22 AM
My peony did sort of the same thing. I didn't see any bugs or problems. I took a piece to a Master Garnder who told me to spray with a fungicide. The plant got better but didn't bloom anymore. Spraying won't hurt and might help.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: hydrangea questions| Next thread: hydrangea tidbits & question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: