The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

seed snatching...tsk, tsk, tsk?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Seed Raising Mix| Next thread: Seed Sources? Your own flowers?? »
Back to Thread index
by kennyso on August 12, 2006 11:59 AM
saw this thread in another gardening forum, what do you guys think? http://forums.*********.com/forums/load/seedsave/msg1216203422887.html?114

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by gardenfairy on August 12, 2006 04:43 PM
I can't the website to come up, it keeps saying that it is temporarily unavailable?

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by patches1414 on August 13, 2006 03:03 PM
Monica, it wouldn't work for me either! NO big loss! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] You've already got Garden Helper [thumb] , what more could you want? [dunno] Besides, I think many of these places are just a flash-in-the-pan and don't last!

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by kennyso on August 13, 2006 03:51 PM
the *** replaces garden-web for some reason? replace the *** with garden-web without the hyphen (dash), for some odd reason, I can never use the word!

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by comfrey on August 13, 2006 04:04 PM
kennyso...So does that mean you are against people collecting seeds when they are out at a park or other place??? I really don't think that there is anything wrong with picking up a "few" seeds for your own use. But when you pick them up so you have seeds to trade with then I really would say that is wrong.

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 13, 2006 11:34 PM
I can't remember for sure (advanced CRS [Big Grin] ) but seems like when I joined, I read some of the No-No's and posting links to other garden related forums was about #1. That's why your link address is being censored.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by kennyso on August 14, 2006 02:03 AM
tulsarose, I didn't read that (my eye must've skipped it)

comfrey, totally agree, it's just that I've had people who actually dug up my perennial bulbs (tulip, daffidals) this year and wrecked my whole bed steping on everything. I usually give emy extra perennial bulbs every few years to the cathedral and I was planning to divide them that afternoon. I don't mind if someone asked me for a few bulbs, but I just don't think taking without asking is acceptable. You're right, taking a bit for your personal use, or telling the person ahead of time that you will be trading them is fine. I think it's really 'ethics' and common manner, ask before you take, don't wreck the plant etc.

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by Kratz7 on August 14, 2006 07:43 AM
I totally agree with the seed scarfing part, I do it too, but I do try and ask the person whom owns the plants.....or at least try to. I can't believe someone would be rude enough to come into a person's flower garden and "Dig" a perrenial without asking first.I have asked total strangers if I could "scarf " some of their deadheads, for seeds. I gladly share the plant, flowers, seeds with anyone who would like to have.... We even give fish away from our pond. I love to share the love of nature and gardening. The more people involved the better this earth would be as gardeners have a lot of "green" to go around.I would like for anyone interested to check out all my "green" going on in my yard. I have photos on photobucket.com under the name charlie7....have fun and enjoy

-

Kratz7 Photos
by TulsaRose on August 14, 2006 08:05 AM
Sad to say, people will steal things from your yard, including digging up or vandalizing plants. I made some neighborhood kids mad one day and the next morning I discovered my Butterfly Bush absolutely destroyed. They broke off every limb to the ground...left them in a nice, tidy pile for me to find.

I agree with sharing any plants, seeds, bulbs, etc. and do so frequently.

Charlie, I enjoyed your picture album and the pond in particular...very nice! And what a neat recycling idea for the Reeboks. lol!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by tkhooper on August 15, 2006 02:51 AM
I didn't look at the link. But this is what I've done. If a plant is in a public area like a strip mall and it has seed pods on it. I'll take some of the seed pods. Just like I do the rose of sharon pods when they are laying on the ground at church. I don't walk in landscaped areas but if it is overhanging the sidewalk/street then yes I will walk up and get some seed pods. I usually waive at the employees of the establishment. And no one has minded yet. But yes I am very careful.

I've seen landscape plants denuded by some people especially the pampas grass blooms down the street. I think that is wrong but seed pods from the yucca or the trees I don't see any problem with that. It does no harm and actually saves the owners or their gardeners from having to deal with volunteer plants cropping up in unwanted places. And the owners would have no idea whether it was for own use or trade so I'm not sure I understand the dilema there. I may of course not understand. As I stated in the beginning I didn't read the link.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Seed Raising Mix| Next thread: Seed Sources? Your own flowers?? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: